Aussie Lockers

Hello, i am looking into the aussie lockers, i was just wondering if any one is running them, or have ran them, or any info at all on them. Thank you!

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Only people that bitch about them typically have not run a set.

"ARB"S ALL THE WAY!!! THERE IS NO BETTER LOCKER OUT THERE!!!!!!!"

:flipoff2:

I had one in my 40 and it was sweet. Never failed me ever. you can hear the ratcheting when truning and when turning at slow speeds sometimes gets a little jerky. Havnet had on in my 62 yet but assume it would be easier to drive becuase it is way smoother then a 40. defintly would recommend them for a lunchbox locker.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Can't beat the "bang for the buck" factor...

I don't have much experience with the Aussie, but we have sold hundreds of LockRights over the years (near identical design, actually same designer)... People complain, but they also spent $200 versus $700+ for the ARB. I have had quite a few trade-in for a different locker, but only after using the LR for some time... I say if you don't have money in the budget for a selectable, go with the LR (style) and decide if you want to change them out later.

BANG!!!

I just did the rear in my BJ60. You can notice it. I don't know if others agree or not but I think you can also notice the unequal rear axle lengths as it torques up on acceleration.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
cruiser_guy said:
I just did the rear in my BJ60. You can notice it. I don't know if others agree or not but I think you can also notice the unequal rear axle lengths as it torques up on acceleration.
Actually the torque dive will happen even if you have the same sized axles. It is the nature of an autolocker :)

Just did the Aussie on Friday....put it to the test in the sand............

Coooooolllllllll!

Did the install me self in my driveway...........VERY easy

I do notice it on turns but I know what it is and just confirms that it's there....

cruiser_guy said:
but I think you can also notice the unequal rear axle lengths as it torques up on acceleration.
Interesting ...

Makes sense.

I'm gonna have to check this out and see if I can reproduce that.

Cahil

It is more likely (almost certain), very small differences in tire inflation that you are noticing.

I've driven auto lockers in a bunch of rigs. Some heavy some light, some stock some hotrodded, some with big tires, some with small. Every combination too. Never noticed any effect of "torque". Lots of evidence of the importance of equal inflation. Even half a pound is enough to be felt in some rigs.

Mark...

I run one up front, going downhill on high traction surfaces like Moab's slickrock and it clicks and makes noise and is a little hard to steer. It is also a little harder to steer in 4WD high on the trails when you want to just rally, you can feel it. But otherwise it is a sweet locker indeed :) I would buy one and recommend one to anyone in a heartbeat.. Also the customer service and warantee seems to be great, much better than Lockright for example..

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star
If your plan use your Rig as DD .. with Ausie , read as much as posible about it efects on the road .. but is only your trail expedition rig .. go straight . !

My first slocker was a Lock right .. awesome locker .. but not for my driving stile when my TLC was my DD .. now I have 2 ARB ans mi rig is only my trail expedition machine .. :eek:

nuclearlemon

not an addict
mine's a dd driver and i have no issues in the rear, but i don't hot rod either. you'll hear it click in corners, you need to accelarate or coast through turns, and u turns kinda suck but other wise good. i don't run one in the front of my dd because of the turning difficulties when locked and snow.

nuclearlemon said:
mine's a dd driver and i have no issues in the rear, but i don't hot rod either. you'll hear it click in corners, you need to accelarate or coast through turns, and u turns kinda suck but other wise good.

Try U turns with a locker on snow/ice. It's GREAT. ;) Crank the wheel, kick it a little to break the tail loose, apply a litle bit of brake pressure and spin around your inside front tire. Don't get crazy, just use enough power to keep the tires spining and sedately come around in a circle. Seriously it's great for U turns on narrow roads without having to to a 3-5 point backand forth. I won't say that I do it routinely (I don't routinely need to make u turns on snow/ice) but I do it often enough that it is considered a normal manuver

Mark...

Top Bottom