aussie lockers--front and rear or just rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello,

I have 2 aussie lockers and am having second thoughts about putting one of these in the front

any opinions on that?

not going to do any really crazy wheeling but may get stuck in the mud round here and of course want it to be as capable as possible but still want it to not be a pain on the street or break things up front unecessarily

Upgrade the birfields and you will be fine.

On the street you'll never know it is there. Your hubs are unlocked.

upgrade

Toyota mini truck? Planning that for the discs anyway, is that what you mean? Still got to check if there are any differences between LHD and RHD though being in the UK now

YOur rig have PS allready..just mounted. i found my rig have 1 in the front - mechanicall and the PO mount the ARB in the rear...not fun in the trail with no Power steering here but that's my next plan before i hit the mountains in PR.

It make a little more turning effort with an auto locker in front on a high traction surface, but there is no need to be in 4WD on a solid surface. They are good in mud, but it can be a little squirrely with all 4 wheels slipping.

You guys are assuming that he will never need 4x4 on the road. In snowy climates we use it on the road all the time. an auto locker in the front while using 4x4 on the road in icy conditions is... irritating at best.

Off road if you are not running much larger tires and playing in rocks then yiou should be perfectly happy with an auto locker in front... IF you have power steering. With manual steering you may find it to be a real PITA.

Mark...

i put 'em front and rear . all good on the slippy stuff and you wouldn't know you got a front one on the road with the hubs on free. regards

Lock em up. Been happy with mine. Some assisted power source for turning is recommended IMHO

Upgrade the birfields and you will be fine.
I think what he means is get some Longfields, or some stronger "Ubertanium birfield", as some people have broken theirs when locked, and wheeling.

Toyota mini truck? Planning that for the discs anyway, is that what you mean? Still got to check if there are any differences between LHD and RHD though being in the UK now

I believe is is talking about some of the after market birflields that are a lot stronger than Toyota makes.

I have had lock rights installed in my 68 since 1994. If I had to do it over agin I would not put one in the front. It would be easier with power steering. But having use them for years I can fele the strain it puts on the front end. Normally I like to leave my front hubs unlock so i can shift into low range without affecting the steering. But climbing a steep high and then needing four wheel drive is a big pain since the hubs aren't locked. The other option is to modify linkage so you can go into lo 2WD and lock the hubs ahead of time. I also wouldn't use these on icey roads. I don't even like the way the rear shifts to one side which shifting gears. But they were a good bang for the buck. Paid $300 for both front and rear new. Not going to be able to do that with a selectable locker. Still collecting part to do E-lockers on another 40 series. But that wouldn't happen for anywhere as cheap as auto lockers.

Think twice if you use 4wd on the street in Norfolk,UK. Auto locker in front could make things more interesting than you bargained for.

interesting

Think twice if you use 4wd on the street in Norfolk,UK. Auto locker in front could make things more interesting than you bargained for.

yes that is one of my concerns, rain, snow, black ice, mud from tractors on the road--but with unlocked hubs should not make a difference right?

Very little margin for error on these roads and going off would prolly mean wrong side up:eek:

Hi All:

I have have been running auto locking diffs front and rear in my FJ40 for the last 6 years. This is a rig that is driven to the trails.

In the front axle the auto locker is of no concern when the lock-out hubs are not engaged. I have not driven the rig on an icey paved road in 4wd so cannot comment on the behavior of a front auto locker in those conditions.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom