Aussie locker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mac

Crew Member
Threads
Anyone tried the aussie locker? Opinions? I've heard they don't sound or feel like a typical auto locker.

Mac

I have a lockright in the rear. Same thing basically. It's great offroad for a cheap locker. On road it's livable but i'd still prefer a selectable locker if I had the money. In snow it's not all that great with a SWB but it's all how you drive. There is tons of post about them in the 40-55 series tech.

It seems like it is pretty cheap, so your saying it wouldn't be good to have them front and rear in the winter? Man I need lockers, lol. I love seeing how far I can go through fields in the winter. How much would a cable locker be for front and back?

Eric Winkworth said:
It seems like it is pretty cheap, so your saying it wouldn't be good to have them front and rear in the winter? Man I need lockers, lol. I love seeing how far I can go through fields in the winter. How much would a cable locker be for front and back?

At complete set of cable lockers (for 70 series? would work on 40 series as well) should run you around 3500 -4000. Check with G&S cruiser for current price. Keep in mind that gets you a rear FF axle and complete front axle as well so you end up with your old axles as spares.

Cheers,

Michael

IF that included, shipping and everything I would do it for sure, that way I could take my sweet ass time on the nuckles and paint everything up liek new

Eric Winkworth said:
IF that included, shipping and everything I would do it for sure, that way I could take my sweet ass time on the nuckles and paint everything up liek new

Call G&S to get the current price. I am in Southern CA USA and with tax shipping duty and everthing it was about $4200.00 USD. Again check with them, the ones I got they already had so I have no idea what the current rate is if they have to get more from Japan.

G&S are great to work with, I am completely happy with my purchase from them, and well worth the price in my book.

Good Luck.

Michael

I have one in the back of my 55, and have put about 20K on it since I bought the truck last Feb. Every once in a while it will bang, and there is some jerking going around tight corners. Other than that, it is seamless. My No-slip ("improved" lockright) didn't perform this well.

If I had the money, I'd go selectable. Failing that, you cannot beat the price and performance of an Aussie. I just put it in a FF rear end, and will report on how the Aussie and the rear studs get along.

My 42 has a Lockright in the rear and an Aussie in the front. They work, no drama, and they're cheap.

I put 'em in the front and rear of my '83 toy pickup about 6 months ago. No problems so far. I haven't used a lockrite before, so I can't do a direct comparsion, but comparing them to others who are running lockrites, they seem to perform about the same, with the usual traits of an autolocker (clicking when turning, spinning the inside tire when turning while accelerating, etc).

I don't know that I would run 'em on a rig that sees a lot of daily driver use, especially on wet or icy roads. Might be a little more drama that I prefer in my daily commute ;)

Bob

Gentlemen, thank you all. I think I'll leave my diffs open for now and put the money towards a winch.

Mac

I'd say toss one in the rear diff and see how you like it. Having the rear locked can take you quite a ways. If you don't like it you can sell it for not much less than you paid for it to someone else. JMHO

hey I too was wondering how well they performed.
My bj70 is a daily driver for me, although I take the grocery getter (Other car) for long trip.
I want to lock my rear diff because of many shamefull experience I've had in the past with my previous toyota truck being open diff.
I asked about a lockright and the guy told me it's : 420$ + 200$ for install.
Does that sound like a total rip-off?
The guy who installs them told me it's a 5 hours job to put the locker in place.
I don't know about this, since you can open the diff.cover for easy access.
Anyway, what is the price of an Aussie Locker ?

Thanks!

Most cruiser place sell Lockrite's for about ~$270 and the Aussie
for $239. USD. It might take 4-5 hours if you have never been in a diff before. But once done you could do it in probably less than an hour. Install it pretty easy and about a 1-2 bananna job. It's not hard to do at all, see the mud install instructions here: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/ez-lock.html. Romer has a good install info in the 40-55 tech. If he can install one anyone can :D J/K
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=20530&highlight=aussie

I'll have a look at this, might try to do it myself, or get someone to help me.
I'll keep shoping, I hate it when shop try to make a too huge profit on your back! :mad:

Mastery, are you in Canada? I think that may have something to do with the price you quoted. I am not certain of the exchange rate; however, that could explain the price differential. I paid about the same for my lockright as I did for my Aussie. I bought the lockright on eBay and am certain I got a good price for it.

Wesintl is correct about the install being quite simple--for the rear axle. It is more difficult for the front as you must remove the third member and work from the bench and not on the truck. Still not a difficult job but more laborious than doing the rear.

Yes I am from Canada.
The price on the aussie website is 239.99$ for my application.
239.99U$D = 302.96CAD at current currency.
Let's say the lockrite is the same price, then the deal I got is at least 100$ overpriced from the website.
And that's why it's important to shop around for these things!

Certainment!

Hey masteryota... fait moi signe des développements.

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions regarding the Aussie Locker or equivalent:

1) If an Aussie Locker were to be installed up front, would it be tougher on the Birfields than selectable locker?

2) Bob Garrett mentioned the "usual traits of an autolocker (clicking when turning, spinning the inside tire when turning while accelerating, etc)". Doesn't that apply only to the rear when the front hubs are not engaged?

Wayne has suggested an option to move my ltd slip up front and install Aussie Lockers in the rear. I'm thinking it might be best to leave the ltd slip where it is in the rear and install the Aussie up front. I use my BJ74 as a daily driver with light-to-moderate off-roading on weekends. Nothing too hardcore.

Comments?

Thanks,

Bruce

A2B in a TLC said:
1) If an Aussie Locker were to be installed up front, would it be tougher on the Birfields than selectable locker?

Yes it's going to be harder on the birfs and you'll be more prone to breaking one. Steering will be harder too, much harder than a lsd.

A2B in a TLC said:
2) Bob Garrett mentioned the "usual traits of an autolocker (clicking when turning, spinning the inside tire when turning while accelerating, etc)". Doesn't that apply only to the rear when the front hubs are not engaged?

Yes. in the snow the tire wants to spin a tad. I also noticed some chirping on the slickrock.
A2B in a TLC said:
Wayne has suggested an option to move my ltd slip up front and install Aussie Lockers in the rear. I'm thinking it might be best to leave the ltd slip where it is in the rear and install the Aussie up front. I use my BJ74 as a daily driver with light-to-moderate off-roading on weekends. Nothing too hardcore.
I'm with wayne. Put it in the rear and the LSD in the front. This combo is still pretty renowned for light to moderate wheeling. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom