aussie locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am thinking of putting a aussie locker in the rear of my 1991 fj80.it has 198000 miles on her.i need in put from people who have them before i order it.thanks for your help.:beer:

There are hundreds of posts on this topic, do a search and you'll be overwhelmed with the info. Upshot is that there are very few complaints about them in the rear of a heavy long-wheelbase rig.

Aussie is the best. Coming from a person that has never wheeled a locked rig it is awesome. 100% difference.

Get it. I installed one on my 97 and I'm never turning back. It works just the way it's supposed to and it does it's job well. There are some minor noises in tight turns and some while coasting around turns on freeway, but other than that it's perfect.

I have had an Aussie in the rear axle of my 1991 for probably 3 or more years now.

It is practically invisible except you can sometimes hear it ratchet around a corner with the windows open.

Cheap and easy mod. Do it!

Now everyone tells me Aussie is the best?

I just ordered in 5.29s and ARB air lockers F/R and the large ARB compressor...

What makes Aussie better......price?

Now everyone tells me Aussie is the best?

I just ordered in 5.29s and ARB air lockers F/R and the large ARB compressor...

What makes Aussie better......price?

Yes and less to go wrong. Not that the ARB's are going to break but more could possibly go wrong in that more moving parts = more could go wrong. The ARB's have there plus's though.

Select ability is a key attribute for front lockers and a nice plus for the rear. You probably don't want to put an Aussie on the front.

Just make sure the air lines are tucked away nicely, or you might lose your ability to lock 'em up (until you are able to repair the lines). I had an o-ring pop out on my ARB compressor once though it was easy enough to loosen the end bolt and put the seal back in place before retightening.

is an aussie locker liveable in a rig that is a daily driver
any major drawbacks in rain
I hear in snow/ice you should change your driving habits

Our 80 is my wife's daily driver and she has hardly noticed the Aussie since I put it in last week. I haven't had to worry about winter driving yet so I can't give feedback there but at this point I would say it's very liveable in a DD.

As for ARB's up until this Aussie, ARB's are all I've ever had. I love em. The selectable nature of the ARB is hard to beat. They are super strong and if can keep from damaging O-rings and air lines, they are very reliable. O-rings can be a common issue but they are minor. As for the air lines, there are places you can get stainless steel lines. But I just used some rubber fuel hose and slide it over the airlines as protection from abrasions and other road debris and rocks. I never had an issue.

The reason I went with the Aussie this time around was almost entirely cost. In addition I drove a friend's 80 a little on the Rubicon and some on the highway driving back. He had a lockright (for all intents and purposes the same as an Aussie) and I never even noticed it was there. That assuaged my concerns about a full time locker in the 80. The ease of install of the Aussie is way more convenient than an ARB as well. If I had money to throw around I would have done ARB's again, but since I was on a budget the Aussie got the nod, and I have been very happy so far. No regrets.

Unless you are hard core, you never want an auto locker on a steer axle.

Unless you are hard core, you never want an auto locker on a steer axle.

X2 .. if your 80 it's a trail rig that only see on road time when you drive to your off road park .. nice ..

I'm one more happy ARB customer for mor than 5 years now .. no leaks, no breakage, no air lines issues, just I have no lockers on the street and get locker when really need 'em, included some muddy off camber situations where you really don't want a auto locker ..

I have had my aussie for about two years now, and I am completely satisfied. It has made a big difference in offroad performance. For the price and ease of install, I think it took me and a friend 2 hours, you cant beet it.In the rain I dont notice any difference having the aussie. As for the snow I havnt been in enough to really make a good call on that.

where do you get the Aussie lockers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom