Aussie Locker install and testing pics

Installed an Aussie locker in the rear of my 40 today- relatively painless. One C clip didn't want to come loose and I had a heck of a time trying to get the right cam gear to stay put during reassembly, but otherwise it went really easily.

Noticable differences onroad-
Before I could feel the right rear tire load up during take off from stops. Now it's an even push. I can't hear the locker ratcheting at all, but I'm not scrubbing tires so it must be working. I've not yet felt any serious binding.

I am getting a moderately loud driveline hum between 30-40 mph. If it doesn't subside in a few days I'll look into it further.

The pond at my parents farm has dried down to mud (DEEP mud) :D , so I used it as a test bed. Their bull sinks chest deep, so I had the tractor standing by to pull me out and went in expecting to get stuck. I stuck it pretty good, but got MUCH farther than I would have prior to the locker. So far, absolutely love it :D .

pics @

http://mofj40-1968.tripod.com/

under Pond Run
Excuse the bare bones site. I just slapped it together a few minutes ago.

woody

Staff member
Admin

hehehe....kewl pics, and i love those tires on yer rig!

yer buddy needs a cage tho... :eek:

He's about finished fabbing his- just has to weld it in. Chance of rollover in this particular case was no more than on a city street, which is why he brought it out.

your truck is purty.

The 33 boggers are a nice fit.

I just scammed a set of 38x11 boggers from a friend, and they are a tad large on my 40.

I am looking at putting a locker in the rear of my 1976 fj40. i don't got alot of funds though, What did the project cost. I have herd good things about aussie lockers. thanks
Ryan

Cost

Just the cost of the lockers and some gear oil.
Might want to replace the axel seals when doing it.
I didn't and one started to leak just afterwards.
They are cheap and easy replace.
Really sucked having to take the locker out to replace the seal.

Good luck

Cost:

Locker- $270.54 delivered
1 gallon gear oil- $7.00
Permatex Copper Silicone- $4.99
3 hours labor- free

Total $282.53
Relatively painless install. I was impressed with the beefiness of the components. These things are stout.

nuclearlemon

not an addict

i didn't hear mine ratcheting right off the bat either...it will probably be more noticable after first oil change.

I still haven't heard mine rachet- but I figured it was getting drowned out since I have no floormats or headliner and the boggers make a nice hum even at low speeds.

I've intentionally taken a few sharp corners under a lot of power just to check for tire scrub. So far everythings great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom