Aussie locker in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed my Aussie locker last night in less time then it takes to watch King Kong.
I'm not much of a mechanic so I had the help of a friend who is a mechanic for the state.
My first impressions are that its louder than I thought it would be when making tight turns. So I'm hoping that noise might quiet down a a little after it breaks in.Does anyone know if thats the case? If not I'll just have to crank up the tunes.
The first real test will be this weekend when I take it on some trails.
All in all it was a pretty simple install I think anyone with a little mechanical skills could do it.

Sweet!! Mine just came in today and I will install on Saturday. In the back of the manual it says you will have a 200 mile break in period then it will get quieter and smoother.:cheers:

I've got about 3k mi on the one in my mini-truck. It might be a tad smoother, but I haven't noticed any noticeable decrease in the noise.

Aussie Locker

The level of the click sound in an Aussie Locker when in a turn is dependend on many factors. These range from the type of vehicle, the innercam spacing, and the diff lube. We recommend conventional 85/140 diff lube as this provides all the lubrication you would need, plus it has a dampening effect on the click. Many of our customers and our own personal experience has shown that after a few hundred miles the lockers break in and the smoothness improves and the click diminishes. We realize that sound is subjective, so we can only report on what many customers say and our own experience.

I put in Mobil1 75w 90, will that be good enough until my next diffoil change or should I change it now?

Iakopa said:
I put in Mobil1 75w 90, will that be good enough until my next diffoil change or should I change it now?

Its winter, that weight should be good for now.
I'm gonna run some cheap stuff for a couple of weeks then drain and refill with the M1. I saw some at Autozone that I think was 75w120. That should do it.

I too have the Aussie Locker and have put several thousand miles on it. Mine did get quieter as it broke in. I did have one alarming thing happen and that was while pulling into my morning coffee shop I heard a very loud metal to metal bang. I thought I had broken something but, it must have just been the locker. This has happened several times on me. On a whole I love the locker and think it is well worth the money and very little effort to install.

Aussie Locker

Iakopa said:

You can run any diff lube weight you want with the Aussie Locker. Synthetics generally do not dampen the click at all, and that is why we recommend the conventional diff lube if someone is concerned about the level of the click. But the Aussie Locker is designed to run with any diff lube so use what you wish.

Aussie_Locker said:
You can run any diff lube weight you want with the Aussie Locker. Synthetics generally do not dampen the click at all, and that is why we recommend the conventional diff lube if someone is concerned about the level of the click. But the Aussie Locker is designed to run with any diff lube so use what you wish.

So are you saying a conventional diff lube will make the clicking "quieter"?

thanks

Iakopa, it sounds like he is saying that if the sound of the locker is an issue to you, running the dino oil may keep it quieter.

Glad to see your install went smoothly! FWIW, I run the cheapest dino I can find in my diffs and my click is almost non-exhistent. Of course, I run bias ply TSL's on the street and think they have pretty good road manners, so our definitions may be different:D

MSGGrunt said:
I too have the Aussie Locker and have put several thousand miles on it. Mine did get quieter as it broke in. I did have one alarming thing happen and that was while pulling into my morning coffee shop I heard a very loud metal to metal bang. I thought I had broken something but, it must have just been the locker. This has happened several times on me. On a whole I love the locker and think it is well worth the money and very little effort to install.

Welcome to the world of automatic lockers. That loud banging is nothing to worry about...sometimes the disengagement isn't smooth. Stay off the throttle around corners.

I always liked the clicking around tight turns in parking lots. That's how you know it's there and always functioning.

Nay

The Aussie locker is a good locker. I am currently running 2. One in my 60 and one in my wife's 80.

With any mechanical locker MAKE SURE YOUR TIRE PRESSURES ARE THE SAME.....

Right Bill?

Paul

Aussie Locker

Beast said:
The Aussie locker is a good locker. I am currently running 2. One in my 60 and one in my wife's 80.

With any mechanical locker MAKE SURE YOUR TIRE PRESSURES ARE THE SAME.....

Right Bill?

Paul

Correct Paul. It does not matter if you air down for wheeling or have pressure set for highway use, the pressure in the tires needs to be the same. When buying new tires I insist they measure them in front of me to ensure they meet the circumference specifications. I have seen more than one tire dealer run through a number of tires before meeting the spec.

Aussie_Locker said:
When buying new tires I insist they measure them in front of me to ensure they meet the circumference specifications. I have seen more than one tire dealer run through a number of tires before meeting the spec.

So I guess a 5 tyre rotation is out of the question if one chooses to install an Aussie locker?

-B-

Aussie Locker

Beowulf said:
So I guess a 5 tyre rotation is out of the question if one chooses to install an Aussie locker?

-B-

Not at all. If your 5 tires fall within the parameters we recommend, there should not be an issue at all. We do a five tire rotation on our vehicle after buying new tires that met the specification.

Even an open diff sees more stress with tires that are outside of the recommended tire circumference, so the recommendation is not just for an Aussie Locker, we are just more vocal than others about the benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom