aussie locker clearances (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
dizzy.ucns.uga.edu
I've had an aussie sitting here in the box for months, and finally got around to installing it. Read Romer's writeup (thanks!:cheers:) and the instructions that came with the kit. Everything was going okay until I got to the test of the pinion shaft to axle gear spacing...the instruction said it should be between "0.006 and 0.020", but didn't specify units...mm or inches? I have metric feeler gauges, and the gaps measured 0.25 and 0.35 (mm), so I figured 'no prob, I'll convert'. Calculated the conversions, which came to .0098 and .0137 inches, which was in spec (if the instructions meant 0.006 to 0.020 inches). So I went ahead with the install, and got a gap between the cam gears of over 4.5mm!!!!!, when the instructions said .145 to .170 mm. Hmmmm.

I didn't measure the thickness of the original thrust washers, but I obviously need thicker ones. I'm assuming the originals have just worn. This is my first install, but it seems to me like the teeth on both the side and spider gears are worn...they look rounded to me (see first pic).

I found an earlier thread where somebody asked about stacking thrust washers (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=58648&highlight=aussie+thrust+washers
but aussie locker sent the answer in a PM, so I don't know whether that's acceptable or not?? Anyone know if I can mix and match to get equal pinion to spacer specs and an acceptable cam gear spacing?

I closed it up until I get the parts, but while down there I noticed another thing...I'd been hearing back end bumping noises, and I now know why: my upper shock mount bolt on the driver's side is gone, so the shock is just flopping around and bumping into the underside of the body! Anybody know where I can get another OME shock bushing? They don't look like straight cylinders.

Steve
sides and spiders.JPG
shocked.JPG

I think those instructions are for inches, 0.145 to .170 mm would be a very very tight tolerance. 4.5 mm would put you at .177 inches, so you will need about a 0.010 bigger shim on each side i would say. You shouldnt have to stack washers unless you have a housing like mine that has huge shim stacks everywhere and you already have the biggest shims yota makes.

I think those instructions are for inches, 0.145 to .170 mm would be a very very tight tolerance. 4.5 mm would put you at .177 inches, so you will need about a 0.010 bigger shim on each side i would say. You shouldnt have to stack washers unless you have a housing like mine that has huge shim stacks everywhere and you already have the biggest shims yota makes.

Thanks AO, and I agree that would be VERY tight, but the Aussie instructions clearly say 0.145 to .170 millimeters, not inches. That's what's got me stumped..the first clearance (pinion shaft to spacers) wasn't specified as inches or mm, but the cam gear clearance was.

I've gotta admit, when I see tolerances listed to three decimal places I think thousandths of an inch, not mm. but the instructions clearly say "mm".:confused:
Thanks!

0.145 mm is 0.005 thousanths, if you are talking about the distance between the two drivers in the locker there is no way that would be correct, its gotta be a typo.

I would PM Aussie_Locker he will clarify it. I asked a couple of questions when i did mine and he got back to me pretty quickly. If not just call 585-723-1489 they also have a live chat with an engineer feature on there web site, but I haven't ever used it.
http://www.offroadlockers.com/contact.php/TMf11985/f121/.html

If i was looking for a bushing I would give Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters.com a call.

I have the Aussie instructions in front of me and I don't see "mm" anywhere! I installed mine based on it being in inches and it works just fine. I had to pull it out two years later when I installed the 4:11's and there is no visible wear that I can tell. I reinstalled again basing it on inches NOT millimeters. The clearance is to allow for the locker to ratchet around corners so a measurement of 0.17 mm would be too close to allow for ratcheting anyways.

If you did install it that way I'd bet that you'd fail the "Testing the locker assembly" on page 12 anyways!

I have the Aussie instructions in front of me and I don't see "mm" anywhere! I installed mine based on it being in inches and it works just fine. I had to pull it out two years later when I installed the 4:11's and there is no visible wear that I can tell. I reinstalled again basing it on inches NOT millimeters. The clearance is to allow for the locker to ratchet around corners so a measurement of 0.17 mm would be too close to allow for ratcheting anyways.

If you did install it that way I'd bet that you'd fail the "Testing the locker assembly" on page 12 anyways!

Thanks all, I've pm'd aussie_locker and also submitted the question to their web site...I'm sure it's a typo in the instructions. I mentioned I've had it sitting in the box for months, but it's probably more like a year or two. So it's probably a typo they corrected a long time ago!:)

BwardeAZ, I'll ping Kurt...wanted to get one of those showers anyway!

thanks!

Aussie got back to me, and all their measurements on US shipments are supposed to be in inches. Had to add a thicker thrust washer to one side, but it's installed now, and the test driver went fine...some roaring at first, but after about 10 miles i couldnt' detect any difference. Wish I had some mud or rocks to test it on!

Also got that shock bolted back on...I'd still like a suitable bushing, bc I ended up using a cheap rubber one that was too bug, and had a hell of a time installing it. Keep forgetting to check mu heater hose diameters so I can call Kurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom