Builds Aussie HZJ78 in Canada: "Ozzi" (simple build) (1 Viewer)

OK, that brought us to mid-November, when I returned home. Poring over my photos, I sorted the parts that had arrived in my absence (you've seen most of that above already), as well as the filters.

This could be interesting to some who also have HZJ78's in North America - I cross-referenced part numbers across various websites, and ordered those filters that were highest-rated.

First off, the air filter:

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

Fuel filter:

IMG_5368.jpg

Oil filter:

IMG_5369.jpg

Baldwin fuel filter (local equipment store) vs. Bosch fuel filter (very cheap with free shipping from UK on eBay):

IMG_5373.jpg

Baldwin (made in Mexico):

IMG_5374.jpg

Bosch (made in Tunisia):

IMG_5375.jpg

Bosch has about half of the filter as empty space.

Also, inspected the other set of front indicator lamps that arrived from China (@coldtaco :) )

IMG_5372.jpg

Finally, the fuel pre-filter, which is standard on the Australian trucks. Finding this guy was quite the challenge (super expensive or unavailable). I found one NOS in Cyprus (Topco, made in Japan) and then put another one into my cart when ordering all my parts from Japan.

IMG_5388.jpg

Topco left, Toyota right.

IMG_5389.jpg

Other than an "old" smell from the Topco one (like an old book) they are quite similar. I have a feeling this isn't super important here in North America, with decent-quality fuels, and considering it's one of two fuel filters.

And with that, I was off again - lucky enough to make one very enjoyable trip to Dubai at the very end of November/early December.

@John Young very generously lent me his LX470, which I returned intact, save for one pesky speeding ticket (damned cameras at every corner).

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

DSC09398.JPG

Of course, I went to visit his cars at the garage. Who could resist the opportunity to see them in the flesh?!

Troopy here: Acquiring a 1995/96 Omani Model 75 Troopy - have I gone mad? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/acquiring-a-1995-96-omani-model-75-troopy-have-i-gone-mad.1149809/post-13624874

"Iota" here: I broke my own rule again with a 1994 petrol pickup "Iota" - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/i-broke-my-own-rule-again-with-a-1994-petrol-pickup-iota.1224635/post-13624881

And here is probably my favourite picture from my trip:

DSC09495.jpg

It's not a super common sight, but there surely are some 70 series out there!

IMG_5709.jpg

John Young

SILVER Star
Very cool Janyyc. If I can get the turbo diesel 80 series past inspection I will sell the LX back to the guy who sold it to me and wants it back. Then I will use the 80 as a daily driver.

I'm glad you enjoyed the LX. It is a nice car on the highway. I've never been able to get the adjustable ride height to work the way I would like.

To be honest, I think it was some sort of excursion or promo car... but maybe I'm wrong.

IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5707.jpg

----

At the recommendation of @John Young I also visited some Sharjah scrap yards... Wow. I have been to Dubai and environs plenty of times but have never seen this part of it. Eye-opening and really, really cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom