1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aussie grab bar

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mountain Goat, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Even in the short time that I have been a mud user I have benefitted immensely from the knowledge, experience, and kindness of other users. Because of that, I'm really trying to remember to document my own projects so I can return the favor.

This quick little post is about my new-to-me Aussie grab bar. I picked this up in a not-quite-ebay deal from a guy in Australia that parts out HJ-60s. Total cost was about $40.00 including shipping by air.

It was pretty rough when I got it so I removed the vinyl wrap and stripped the paint with a sander. I primed and painted with a not really matching gray, and made a leather wrap out of automotive grade leather. I made a backing plate for the right side out of a piece of 3/32 mild steel since the dash didn't include any reinforcement.

I think it looks pretty sweet and my passengers (especially my 10 year old daughter who has a little trouble climbing up) really appreciate it.

2. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

A photo might be nice

Forgot to attach the pic.
    Grab-bar.jpg

3. Dirtgypsy

Dirtgypsy

that looks great mtngoat. the color is not as far off as I had thought from your first post. where in oregon are you? are you a member of cascadecruisers?

clint

4. MYTANK

MYTANK

Nice Work :)

I love my Grab Bar :p

5. vorno_18

vorno_18

damn you guys keep your 60s clean over there

mine is so full of mud

6. -Macca-

-Macca-

Not only the Aussie grab bar, but the Aussie inclinometer too.. :cool:

If I ever get to The States, I'm going to Oregon to visit Mountain Goat - I'd feel right at home in his truck (except for the whole "the steering wheel's on the wrong side of the car" thing.. :D )

7. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Hi Clint,

I'm in Eugene. Not a member of any clubs or other organizations. Haven't really had time to find any.

Thanks all for the support and kind words. :cheers:

8. PAFJ

PAFJ

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet!! Looks good...nice work. Far better than paying the price of that grab bar from $OR.

:cheers:

9. cruzerfetish

cruzerfetish

got my jdm(the molded plastic one) grab bar from cruiserparts.net I think it was 35 bucks. I love it, but didn't use a backing plate and it seems very solid. There are some raised spots in the front of the dash where you can drill out and bolt on right on (after you take you glove box out of the way).

looks good.

10. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Yeah, mine had raised spots (spot welds) from dash structural members on the left side, but nothing on the right. May not really be necessary, but it makes me feel groovy.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">