Aussie FJ40 LX '82 vacuum hose query (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day folks

I have at last put my motor back together and have come to lace up the vacuum hoses to the aisin carb, but unfortunately I have lost my little sketch showing what went where!

Anyway, I have a valve which is attached to the inside of the fender with some pipes coming out of it, but I cn't be sure where they go.

Does anybody have any advice - it's a stock 2f.

Cheers

This might help

84 2F GEN Model here.

The vacuum line that goes under the air intake runs to the vacuum advance on the distributer.

SVGA_IMG_2796.JPG

thanks for taking the trouble to post a photo Psycho

My FJ is a little different to yours, but your picture was a valuable reference.
I have two separate valves (3 way vacuum switch thing), whereas your setup shows just one.
Also I have a reservoir which is about the size of a baked beans tin which appears to be connected to a vent to the fuel tank (guess) and there is also a vent into the chassis leg.
I'm not sure how critical this reservoir is, but it looks to be OEM, and appears to have not been connected properly for my entire ownership of the vehicle with no obvious side-effects.
Does anybody have any idea what the primary function of this reservoir/tin is?
I am sorry but my manual is pretty crappy, and id very light on some aspects of the FJ40.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/96790-speaking-vacuum-hoses-got-some-blue-need-favor.html

Check out this link

is the canister the big one in this photo?

sear on desmog and emissions and i think youll find what you need;)

TLCA# 15198
Send a message via AIM to loeky

here are the most valuable links you'll need to to route that mess:

http://www.sweetillusions.org/toyota/6.pdf
http://www.sweetillusions.org/toyota/7.pdf
http://www.sweetillusions.org/toyota...um_routing.gif"

this may help too
desmog14.JPG

I have two separate valves (3 way vacuum switch thing), whereas your setup shows just one.

actually, there are 2 VSVs there, one under the alternator cable bundle is not so visible.

i do not have the vents from the tank, though. as environmental as the swiss are, they were very slow in adopting emission standards.

Great help guys

Psycho - of course there are 2 vsv's in the photo - I must look a bit harder next time!
And bsmith, yes the canister is like the large one that appears in your picture. The only issue being that I had no idea that there were any smog equipment on Aussie vehicles - certainly the vacuum hoses present on my vehicle are not like the spaghetti in those diagrams, but I guess it is just a breather reservoir, and doesnt affect how the motor runs.

She'll be right!

Thanks again

This may be more helpful

This might be helpful. Even with a DESMOG on US vehicles I see it is recommended to keep the vapor recovery system intact

That's what the canister is for (or reservoir if you prefer), cuts down on gas fumes entering the Atmos and your schnoz ---even in Oz:lol:
canister.jpg

I appreciate that I have been quiet a long time on this issue, but there was a mistake in my earlier post!
I have a single 3 way valve on my 2f whereas the photo of the red cruiser shows two valves.
If anybody could give me a clue regarding how to lace up the hoses from this valve I would be most grateful.
Or alternatively if a technical guru could give me a clue as to the purpose of the vcv I may be able to work it out myself.
Many thanks for looking at this post again

There are two versions (Australia) shown in my information JustinDaley.

Here's the first which apparently ended late83/early84:
EarlierVacHoses.jpg

And here's the second for late83/early84 onwards:
LaterVacHoses.jpg

:beer:

Looks like you got the first one?

Edit.... There is a hose running off to the right (in the first pic above) that goes to your charcoal cannister. So I'm adding that image (Fig 77-51) here because it may be of help too.
CharcoalCanister7751_NEW.jpg
EarlierVacHoses.jpg
LaterVacHoses.jpg
CharcoalCanister7751_NEW.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tom
Completely sorted now.
On a different note, I visited NZ for the first time in September for RWC. Awesome place with great people
Thanks again
Justin

Just now I was thinking "RWC...RWC....RWC..... What the hell's that? ...I even googled it without success. Then I finally remembered ... of course - the Rugby World Cup!

(I think NZ deserved to win based on their overall performance throughout all the games but I don't think they showed any superiority in the final match with the French. I'd have to say that I think the French deserved to win that one!)

It seems like it all happened a decade ago now.

Glad you enjoyed it here Justin. And I'm especially glad you got a good impression of us because I have to say I was ashamed of much of our crowd behaviour.

:beer:

PS. The Rugby Sevens Competition here in Wellington (this coming February) always creates the biggest party atmosphere in this city. (And you're far less likely to see crowds booing any player - so it must be a better class of yokel that attends Sevens rugby.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom