Aussie 55 Restomod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been a bit slack lately. I spent 2 months working away from home also so I haven't had much time until lately to do anything to the 55. My 80 series has been occupying all the cruiser time i have had instead as it was supposed to up and running 3 months ago.
image.jpg

But I have had a chance in recent days to get some things done! My current job affords me access to a cabinet blaster which is making life easier!

Once blasted I put my lawn ornament 80 to good use. I have plenty more things to run through the cabinet over the next few days.
image.jpg

Got the box on, stripped the steering pump and cleaned it. Got one of the boilermakers at work to tig weld some jic fittings to the toyota pressure line fittings so I can use any standard hose. Cleaned everything up at work, into a box and. Ready to be re-assembled.
image.jpg
image.jpg

More bits done! I'm procrastinating from the body work but I much prefer working on mechanical components.

One of the Toyota to JIC adaptors.
image.jpg

Air cleaner painted and reassembled.
image.jpg

Steering shaft stripped, cleaned and re-greased. Waiting on the other half to be done then off to be painted.
image.jpg

Got the box on, stripped the steering pump and cleaned it. Got one of the boilermakers at work to tig weld some jic fittings to the toyota pressure line fittings so I can use any standard hose. Cleaned everything up at work, into a box and. Ready to be re-assembled.View attachment 1138563View attachment 1138565

Nice work! Did you replace the bushings in the PS pump so she won't leak again?

Nice work! Did you replace the bushings in the PS pump so she won't leak again?

Not yet, are there replacements? The bearings in the pump are worn but it doesn't look like the seal kit I got has new ones in it. Haven't been able to find anything using google either.

There are some replacements, but not sold by Toyota. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I found a supplier and a part number for them... I will have to dig for any info I may still have. If they are worn and you do not replace, the new seal will just leak again.

Not yet, are there replacements? The bearings in the pump are worn but it doesn't look like the seal kit I got has new ones in it. Haven't been able to find anything using google either.

It looks like I never posted the source or p/n's for these bushings. I'll have to see if I still have the receipt. In all fairness, I found another pump and slapped it in the 40, b/c you need a press to press the old bushings out and the new ones in.

Here is a quote from way back when about the 60 series PS pump leaks:

The problem is the front bushing on the OEM pump. It is small, and it has no provision for pressure lubrication.

The PO will see the belt tensioner bolt on the alternator and tighten that until the belt is tuned to a G sharp (twang). That pulls sideways on the PS pulley and cause the pump shaft to eat the front bushing. Eventually there is enough sideways deflection of the shaft that it is no longer centered in the seal. Then the seal leaks.

The problem is there is no off the shelf bushing replacement for the pump, AFAIK. So rebuilding and replacing the front seal is often a temporary fix.

Thanks heaps, Pablo! I'll go have a chat with my local old school part guy. He's probably got a set hidden in the back if his shop from when you could still get these off the showroom floor!

My other idea was to press out the old bushes and refit them in another orientation so an unworn section of them is taking the load. Or machining up some new bronze bushes, I have access to a machine shop with work at the moment.

The bushings I got were not Toyota parts. I am not aware of them ever being offered by Toyota, but you never know, so ask him anyway.

This tech told me about some 3rd party bushings that fit, and had a small expansion groove to hold some fluid. I have a feeling that the receipt is with the bushings. I will have to find them, then I can tell you who I ordered from. Or, given that you are in Queensland, you may be better off making your own!

Thanks Pablo, I'll sift through that website and see if I can find the right bearing.

I finished rebuilding the steering shaft this arvo after installing a new interior into my 80. Small steps, but I'm slowly getting through the list.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I got busy and busted out some bearings on a lathe at work, just plain brass so it will be interesting to see how well they wear. Pump is rebuilt and painted now, but I will strip it down after a short run and check how well the bearings are going.
image.jpg

Should have all the mechanicals in the engine bay complete tomorrow.

Gotta have it and my 80 running asap now as we are moving to Brisbane which is about 600km away.:confused:

Well the pump looks good, but of course something had to backfire. Everything had been going way too smoothly and the cruiser gods demanded sacrifice!
The steering shaft between the box and the firewall is too long. I didn't realise that the power steering box uses a shorter shaft and in my haste at the wreckers I only grabbed the female section of the shaft. My solution is to use the shorter power steering box female section and cut 15mm off the male non power end which will shorten the whole shaft by around 25mm. After that I should be able to just sneak it in!
image.jpg

image.jpg

I got busy and busted out some bearings on a lathe at work, just plain brass so it will be interesting to see how well they wear. Pump is rebuilt and painted now, but I will strip it down after a short run and check how well the bearings are going.
View attachment 1148438
Should have all the mechanicals in the engine bay complete tomorrow.

Gotta have it and my 80 running asap now as we are moving to Brisbane which is about 600km away.:confused:

Let me know how these work! Did you create front and rear bushings? Are they the same length? How did you deal with the plug on the back of the pump - re-use the one that was in there, or replace? I assume you had to press it out to get the rear bushing out...

Let me know how these work! Did you create front and rear bushings? Are they the same length? How did you deal with the plug on the back of the pump - re-use the one that was in there, or replace? I assume you had to press it out to get the rear bushing out...

Yeah I made front and rear, I didn't exactly replicate the OEM bushes, they have helical oil grooves in them which would have been too time consuming for me to machine. Both of the bushes are the exact same dimensions as the old ones. The welsh plug on the back of the pump is easy to tap out with a drift. It has an o-ring that provides the seal, the seal kit I bought came with a replacement, you just gotta make sure the plug goes back in the correct orientation.

Yeah I made front and rear, I didn't exactly replicate the OEM bushes, they have helical oil grooves in them which would have been too time consuming for me to machine. Both of the bushes are the exact same dimensions as the old ones. The welsh plug on the back of the pump is easy to tap out with a drift. It has an o-ring that provides the seal, the seal kit I bought came with a replacement, you just gotta make sure the plug goes back in the correct orientation.

Great to know! Were you able to tap out the old bushings, or did you have to press?

Here are how my oiling grooves looked:

10-08-15-045-jpg.1144663

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom