August ROTM - Riggs Flat Lake (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

floggerdogger

SILVER Star
Threads
August ROTM – Riggs Flat Lake

Trip Leader: @floggerdogger

Date: August 27th
Time: 9:00am
Place: Gold Canyon Shell station [7138 US60, Gold Canyon, AZ 85118]

Route Description: US-60 E and US-70 E (Safford, AZ); S 20th Avenue S (JD’s Grill House) to Discovery Park Blvd E; SR-191 S to AZ-366 W in Swift Trail Junction; AZ-366 W to Riggs Flat Lake.

Now that it’s the ‘middle’ of the Summer, it’s time for a break.

This run will get us to 8600’ with NF campsites and dispersed camping as well (first come, first serve).

Riggs Flat Lake is part of the Pinaleno Mountains, better know as Mount Graham, which is the highest of Arizona's Sky Island mountain ranges and are the only range with peaks higher than 10,000 feet in elevation. Sky islands are isolated mountains surrounded by radically different lowland environments.

This is a 4.5 hour trip without any side excursions. This is a ‘stocker-friendly’ event that includes a little bit of everything in the great outdoors without the HEAT!! Click here for the details.

**UPDATE**
Date for August ROTM has been changed to August 27th.

Feedback has been very positive for this run and I believe that we will have a great turnout . . . especially if it continues to be hotter than normal for this time of year here in the Valley.

What I find surprising is the number of folks, well traveled folks I may add, that have never been to Riggs Flat Lake and are looking forward to the 'discovery' of a new destination. The fact that access to the area is blocked off for half the year couldn't possibly have anything to do with that . . . :doh:

Last edited:
Sounds like you found a good run. Is this just a day trip or are you thinking about an overnight possibility? Are any permits required?

Are you planning a run on any particular trail? I am tentatively in.

:lol:
There is actually a resident Elk herd up there that years ago migrated from the rim.

Nice meeting with you all tonight...

@floggerdogger -- If you can post up what time you estimate you all will be going through Globe and where you might want to stop, I'll see if I can meet up with you all. I got the wife and kids on board with going and it sounds like they are up for this trip. I'll be coming out of Show Low and I might suggest a good stop or meet up point is the Chevron at HYW 60 and HWY 77. Let us know and thanks!

Chevron--
Google Maps

I'm very interested. Last time I was camping there was 35 years ago.

Mount Graham/Riggs Lake is an awesome area, and definitely much cooler weather on top! Was up there for the first time in June of last year for work and was amazed by the cool weather and the isolated sky island pine forest there. We got lucky and were hit by an early monsoon storm which dropped the temps down to around 68 degrees -- it had been in the mid 90s down in Safford earlier that day!

A view of the mountain from US191 south of Safford (approx. 4000 ft elevation)
20150609_150639.jpg

A view from the top looking out towards US191
20150609_112940.jpg

One of the forested meadows up top
20150609_120045.jpg

The storm rolling in on us, became a heavy downpour shortly after this!
20150609_140156.jpg

@Mattmann555 -

You brought up some good points. Regarding US-60 project between Superior and Globe: "The Arizona Department of Transportation started the US 60 project, Oak Flat to Miami, June 17, 2015. The project is anticipated to be completed in June 2016." . . . so we should be good shape for the run in that respect.

Leaving Gold Canyon @ 9:30am should put us at US-60 and US-77 @ 10:30am. Whether we make a pitstop . . TBD.

@Dimples -

Like I said at the meeting . . "I am just getting you there . . ". I believe that most would agree that kind of run will entail an overnight and for some it will become a two nighter. CJ is assisting me in some possible side runs . . . again TBD. Otherwise, I believe that most folks will be content just cooling their heels and Cruisers in camp.

@Stepmurr

After last nights CSC Rio Vista meeting I believe that Ron and Norm can rustle up some good eatin' squirrel . . . ;)

As I said last night, there are NF campsite facilities (click here) available on a "first come, first serve" basis . . . so if someone is willing to get there Friday and reserve a couple of sites . . . otherwise we can manage with our classic 'dispersed camping' style . . . and yes @LandCruiserPhil, keep and eye out for black bear . . . :bear:

Water, need the all important pic of water,;) don't forget fishing licenses, rods and reels.
Riggs Lake.jpg

Great Pictures! I will most likely be spending my 4th of July there hiking relaxing and hopefully finding a few off road trails (July 3-5)! Chances are I would be heading up the Friday before the run to make the run weekend 3 days, but that TBD.

Pencil us in, we are thinking of Reservation Lake over the 4th, tbd.

There are bears. We had a couple wander through the meadow we were camping in during Memorial Day weekend. It was really neat. It is also the first time I didn't have skunks visit.

@Mattmann555 -

You brought up some good points. Regarding US-60 project between Superior and Globe: "The Arizona Department of Transportation started the US 60 project, Oak Flat to Miami, June 17, 2015. The project is anticipated to be completed in June 2016." . . . so we should be good shape for the run in that respect.

Leaving Gold Canyon @ 9:30am should put us at US-60 and US-77 @ 10:30am. Whether we make a pitstop . . TBD.

@Dimples -

Like I said at the meeting . . "I am just getting you there . . ". I believe that most would agree that kind of run will entail an overnight and for some it will become a two nighter. CJ is assisting me in some possible side runs . . . again TBD. Otherwise, I believe that most folks will be content just cooling their heels and Cruisers in camp.

@Stepmurr

After last nights CSC Rio Vista meeting I believe that Ron and Norm can rustle up some good eatin' squirrel . . . ;)

As I said last night, there are NF campsite facilities (click here) available on a "first come, first serve" basis . . . so if someone is willing to get there Friday and reserve a couple of sites . . . otherwise we can manage with our classic 'dispersed camping' style . . . and yes @LandCruiserPhil, keep and eye out for black bear . . . :bear:

Had a great 4th of July weekend by Riggs Flat Lake. We (my girlfriend and two other friends) headed up Saturday and from door to campsite was just about 4.5 hours. We made our first stop at the lake and decided there were to many people and we headed off to find our undeveloped campsite that we were able to spread out on undisturbed by anyone else. We stayed in a campsite called Jesus-Goudy just over a mile back from the lake. We had a fire each night. Sunday we did a little exploring, drove back by the lake and found a short 2 mile off-road trail that was slightly more difficult then the basic graded dirt road and found a tucked away fairly large campsite. My suggestion for the August trip would be to plan on camping close to Riggs Flat lake but in an undeveloped campsite to avoid the $10 per day fee and also to be close together as a group rather than spread out in Riggs Flat lake campground. But that is just my two cents. The area around Riggs Flat lake is arguable one of the prettiest places in Arizona and I cant wait to go back in August.

Here are some pictures of the trip!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I spent most of the weekend in the Chiricahuas, but moved to the Pinaleños for the fourth. I camped along a rarely used forest road between Snow Flat and Treasure Park.

View from 9000 feet up
7D_08978-small.jpg

The pond at Snow Flat
7D_08981-small.jpg

Surprised one of the natives
7D_08995-small.jpg

Camp!
7D_09004-small.jpg

This varmit didn't appear to be endangered!
7D_09062-small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom