August ROTM 2018 - Grand Canyon & White Pocket (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome. A great route through spectacular country. Enjoy!

Work looks like it will be accommodating! Looking forward to this a lot, I can't remember the last time I was on dirt, and that's a problem.

May have spoken too soon..... Egh, we'll see. Might come for part of the trip and leave Sunday.

Dam bills don't pay themselves! Better some than none Abigail. Go for it, hope to see you make it

WORK is a 4 letter word. @Abigail , we all need to get some down time and this could be the the vistas to carry you through a tough week.

@Chrismanjs CJ, remember the north rim last time, baby Harper was just 3 months old. Tell Alyssa anything after Christmas is more than enough time.

WORK is a 4 letter word. @Abigail , we all need to get some down time and this could be the the vistas to carry you through a tough week.

I'm going to make it happen, it will just be not what I planned. Need dirt. There's no way I am missing this.

I have done some rerouting:D, the points of interest have not changed but getting to them will include some 4WD nothing hard and no vehicle damage just something more than dirt roads. This is also subject to change if we have weather all in all the goal is to provide you with good memories.:slap: :rainbow:

Important info
You need to be at the meeting spot 100% ready. No roll call leaving at 9AM Saturday (Gas stop in 40 miles)
Meeting spot offers no services
You will need a 200 mile range on the fuel you carry
We will have convenience store access everyday
You must have a ham radio - If you dont reach out or see link below- yes you need a license to talk but not to listen
Check your vehicle out prior to leaving - dont be that person
Count on no wood at either camp site
Design temp 92°-57° ~6000'

Any questions? Ask now!

Need a Ham Amazon has you covered- Good deal with enough features convenience to cover you going forward
https://www.amazon.com/Walkie-1800M...34109192&sr=1-27-spons&keywords=baofeng&psc=1

"Need dirt". Ha, sums it up

I have an extra hand held Yaesu ham radio If anyone needs one.

I'm loading up Thursday night and driving directly from work Friday afternoon to the Flag camping spot . Thinking of leaving around 300-330-ish

Important info
You need to be at the meeting spot 100% ready. No roll call leaving at 9AM Saturday (Gas stop in 40 miles)
Meeting spot offers no services
You will need a 200 mile range on the fuel you carry
We will have convenience store access everyday
You must have a ham radio - If you dont reach out or see link below- yes you need a license to talk but not to listen
Check your vehicle out prior to leaving - dont be that person
Count on no wood at either camp site
Design temp 92°-57° ~6000'

Any questions? Ask now!

Need a Ham Amazon has you covered- Good deal with enough features convenience to cover you going forward
https://www.amazon.com/Walkie-1800M...34109192&sr=1-27-spons&keywords=baofeng&psc=1

Thanks for the link Phil, Ham radio ordered.

"Need dirt". Ha, sums it up

I have an extra hand held Yaesu ham radio If anyone needs one.

I'm loading up Thursday night and driving directly from work Friday afternoon to the Flag camping spot . Thinking of leaving around 300-330-ish

@Mattman , @Cruddz and anyone else. I plan to roll with Murf at 3ish. We should be on ham channel per usual and I too will have a spare handheld ham radio if someone needs it.

@LandCruiserPhil , will the convenience stores have fuel? 200 miles on dirt will be getting to the reserve for some people (@murf ) for example.

Im bringing the 80 vs the 40 with the smaller tank. I should be fine like the other stock-fuel-tank 80's will be.

@Mattman , @Cruddz and anyone else. I plan to roll with Murf at 3ish. We should be on ham channel per usual and I too will have a spare handheld ham radio if someone needs it.

@LandCruiserPhil , will the convenience stores have fuel? 200 miles on dirt will be getting to the reserve for some people (@murf ) for example.

Reserve is not be a problem empty is a problem. Again have a 200 mile range and one will be fine.

Is this a run a small trailer could be used? Have plenty of firewood and half dozen jerry cans for spare gas if needed. Down side is would slow down the all powerfy 3FE in my 89.

Would also bring along rain gear as this monsoon has brought some heavy storms in our area. The streaks in the first picture are from hail. Still aways south of the north rim of the canyon but have had a few heavy storms the last few nights. Pictures from yesterday afternoon.
IMG_20180812_191446384.jpg
IMG_20180812_191937193.jpg

Because of weather, road closures, and fires my route is changing daily. It will be my first time on some of the route and with safety being my number 1 priority I would leave your trailer at home. In the Ecalante area north of 89 if its wet travel can be sketchy and in some cases come to a complete stop until the rain ends. FWIW the last time I looked weather is going to be dry on the latest route but maybe some rain Friday night in Flag.

While Jacob Lake is not our destination it does reflect weather in the area. Should be mostly dry and cool in the evenings.

52EED376-C8DD-4B3A-B6FE-3452CC7E7EB3.png

So Alvis @Cruddz you going to make this one?

It's been over fourteen years since the 89 was semi retired and moved north. This will be the longest it ventured away since then. With a 23.8 gallon tank unless in 4WD low range a big part of the time should be okay. Been so long can't remember if I would do the three hundred mile round trip between homes without gassing up. Prefe not to take the 4th gen 4Runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom