Powell River - August Coastal Cruiser Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updated.

gb

Thanks for updating Greg.

The dates of Aug. 20th (and the weekdays before if anyone is inclined) work fine for us. We are booking up the summer very fast now but are so far holding those dates for this event. By the looks of this thread, there is approx 10 people/ parties interested or in on the event. That is enough for us to close at least the upper part of the campground making it a private event. This would be ideal as we don't have to worry about booking individual sites out to people and worrying so much about mixing strangers etc. Our regular rates are $25 a night per site with a day discount after 7 days and booked through our reservation page Reservations - Creekside Crossing Campground - https://creeksidecrossingcampground.ca/reservations-2/
What we propose is a discounted group rate for the 3 days,/ nights Aug 20-23 for the whole upper campground of $450 (as opposed to $750 if we booked our upper 10 sites individually) This would include use of the communal area, main firepit etc and we can take more than the 10 individual parties if more than 10 are committed as we have lots of space but would have to cap it at 20 as per our insurance. It gets a bit convoluted working out vehicle and people numbers per site etc which is why a single group rate would be easiest. If there is less commitment than it is worth going with the group rate, then we can go back to booking individually but will be first come first serve at that point.

At this point, we need a show of hands of who is committed if we are to book the campground for this weekend.

Thanks Jeff for figuring out wheeling locations etc. I know some of the areas but not as much as I should now that I live here so am excited to get my Cruiser out on some trails that weekend.

Thanks everyone and we are looking forward to seeing you here at Creekside!

Ciaran and Cheri

Here is our campground map. The actual site numbers are there just to be there and we have flexibility so not to worry to much about that as we have lots of space especially in the main meadow.

FB_IMG_1621961619528.jpg

Count me in. Planning to be there the 18th. Looking forward to see you guys.
Ruwi

Put my name down for the 20-23rd. Just one person. I would be down to head up a day early and do a bit of exploring in between and find a nice camp site before heading up to Powell river if anyone is interested.

Hey Cruiserheads,

The club has paid for three nights Thurs-Fri-Saturday for the Aug 19-21 weekend for an entire section of the campground! This way we can secure our space.

This is a cost recovery model, it doesn't mean free camping :)

I hope I can make it but at the moment I'm scheduled to work at a fire camp again that weekend on Adams Lake, so it's doubtful, especially how this summer continues to unfold!

Nightly fee for Club Members is only $20. Ciaran will collect your fees at some point during the weekend.

Last edited:
Kristin and I will confirm by tomorrow evening that we'll be there all 3 nights.
Franz

Thanks Rob.

I'll be up there before the weekend and if no significant rain before then I don't think its a stretch to say we won't be exploring too much onto the FSR's behind Powell River. Might be exploring the lakes, ocean beaches and anything else the rec director from Powell River declares might be interesting. Is Alpaca racing a thing?

gb

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. We are excited to see you folks up here at Creekside Crossing. We have the main campground area all booked for you including the communal area which has some cover and we will set up our outdoor shower also for this event.

As Greg mentioned, hopefully we get some rain before then but if it continues to stay dry then there might be limitations on backwoods travel. But either way, we have three great beaches right here plus a number of accessible lakes, swimming holes and of course our creek is a good spot to hang out and cool off. We don't have any Alpaca races planned but do have a racetrack so your welcome to bring your own Alpaca 😬

For those who have extra time and want to come up before Thursday, we have space from Tues the 17th onwards. Please let me know if you want to come early so we can plan accordingly.

Ferries have been busy so reserving is advised or show up early enough. You can only reserve the first ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale, the second ferry from Earl's Cove to Saltery Bay is just FCFS. Once you get off the second ferry at Saltery Bay you take Hwy 101 towards town. At around 12km you will see Lang Bay Store which is our local store for food, ice, booze etc. Keep going another km or so and make a right turn on Weldwood Rd. (Also known as Duck Lake FSR branch 3). Drive up to the 2km marker on the right and you are here.

We are kid friendly, love our dogs but remember to leash. Non-potable water is available for cleaning etc. We're looking forward to seeing you all!

Ciaran and Cheri

It's Llama's..we have no Alpaca... yet anyways, and they are down in Maple Ridge for the summer 4H fairs.

I did some kayaking around Hammil (or West) Lake as it's locally referred to the other day and noticed some interesting trails to explore off the lake. I do not know if they are 'cruiser accessible or just quad/hiking only yet.
And yes, Ferries have been stupid busy (even stupider than normal), so as much as I hate to say it, reserve well in advance. I made a reservation for Becky a couple days ago when she comes back on the 11th and a lot of reservations were full already then.

Yes book now. Did mine today on the 18th trip and the earliest sailing I got was 1515Hrs. See you guys.
Ruwi

@Enigma and @naraic getting much rain up there this weekend?

I'm not seeing much on line with restrictions for FSR and back country access right now, unless I am missing anything. There is lots to do exploring the area if access is restricted or not wise.

Any additional suggested websites, activities and sites to visit (websites or in person) other then what you have mentioned above?

I will have my Coleman sun/screen room, if bugs are still out and about.

As well as have a CSA propane fire pit and one 25lb bottle for the communal fire pit. A full bottle is usually for about 2 full evenings IIRC.

gb

It poured pretty good this evening! No restrictions, other than campfires of course, up here. By Wednesday it's supposed to be 32 degrees again. If you have the time, make a trip to Savary island, our own little bit of tropic paradise. One little side excursion I have yet to explore is Sarah Point; nothing super 4x4 exciting, but apparently a neat place to check out. Explore the Trails: Starting the Sunshine Coast Trail at Sarah Point - Sunshine Coast Tourism - https://sunshinecoastcanada.com/blog/2014/11/52-weeks-of-trails-week-48/

That would be a great days exploring if some folk are into it. From what I remember Lund is a nice spot to stop and wander as well.

gb

Yes it rained a lot yesterday which is great and no backwoods shutdowns around here so far. Savary Island is an amazing place to visit from Lund which is one end of Hwy 101, the longest divided highway in the world. The other end is in Castro, Chili, 15,000 km away. Another little fun fact is when you come up here, Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal is one end of the longest stretch of undivided highway in the world so you can be at one end of both the longest divided and undivided highways in the world on your trip up.

In the backwoods, Tin Hat Mtn is a great place for 360 views of the area. A bit of 4low wheeling at the end of the road plus a short but steep hike.

Eldred Valley is about an hour drive up FSR's and has rock faces that rival Squamish and neat rock formations in the river.

Granite Lake is a close 4wd trail with washouts but I haven't been up there for a couple of years so don't really know the status.

As our campground is on the FSR that links up with everything south of town, it is convenient to air down and lock the hubs right at camp before taking off for the day.

Cheers and see you soon!

Ciaran

In the backwoods, Tin Hat Mtn is a great place for 360 views of the area. A bit of 4low wheeling at the end of the road plus a short but steep hike.
We did Tin Hat a couple years when everyone was up. Could again of course as the views are pretty nice.
Eldred Valley is about an hour drive up FSR's and has rock faces that rival Squamish and neat rock formations in the river.
I have yet to do that myself so that could be fun.
Granite Lake is a close 4wd trail with washouts but I haven't been up there for a couple of years so don't really know the status.
I've been up there twice in the last few months; in my truck and by quad. We did go to Granite as well one of the days in years past, but didn't go past the lake. The road past the lake is a little bit grown in, but not as bad as I went I first went up. One of the trails leads to "Blue Ridge" which I have posted pictures from back in May. There are more roads past that which I have yet to explore but look interesting.
As our campground is on the FSR that links up with everything south of town, it is convenient to air down and lock the hubs right at camp before taking off for the day.
A nice exploratory drive would into St Vincents Bay, via "the old road". 2WD really but some nice views and culminates at a camping spot right on the ocean. I think I have some pics posted back a bit on that trip as well.
Cheers and see you soon!

Ciaran

Weathers looking good for next weekend, though its a long way off yet.

@Enigma any interest in checking Sarah Point before the weekend starts? Unless of course those who are coming speak up and want to do that on the weekend.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom