August 2022 Club Run - August 26-28; Western Sierras, Shaver Lake Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Friday, 8/26, will be a travel & camp set-up day (if you arrive early enough, we might get in a little trail time...). Saturday will be trails during the day, and returning to camp for the evening. In addition to a lot of research, I just got back from a "scouting" trip, as I hadn't been in this area for quite a few years. There are so many trails in the area for us to choose from! They range from easy fire-roads all the way to extreme trails like Swamp Lake & the Dusy-Ershim. I previewed a few that I think will work well for our group. Our final trail selections will depend on rig/driver capability of those who attend. As always, our goal is a fun and exciting time, without beating up our trucks unnecessarily!

Sunday, 8/28, will be a travel day home. This should be a very fun trip, with more forest scenery than we are used to enjoying. If you'd like to attend, please be sure to block these days out on your calendar!

Here are some updated plans, as discussed at our Club Meeting (Great meeting, by the way! I really enjoyed our technical discussion at the end!): We will meet on Friday 8/26, at 2:00 PM at the Dinkey Staging Area, located at the intersection of Dinkey Creek Road & Forest Road 26E329 (coordinates 37.071860, -119.18503400).

Please be sure to allow extra time for Friday morning rush-hour traffic through LA, in order to reach our rendezvous point on time. For our Ham operators, let's use channel 146.535. Cell coverage is available in Shaver Lake (though, not too strong...), and there is no cell signal at our rendezvous point. If you encounter any unforeseen delays, please be sure to reach out to another club member who can let the group know.

A few club members have indicated a willingness to get up there a day or two earlier to try to secure a dispersed camping area large enough for our group. Based on my recent scouting run, here are the Google Map link and coordinates of a suggested dispersed camp area: 37.09086, -119.16444. Hopefully, we will be able to claim this large area. It's a nice spot on a rise overlooking Rock Creek and Dinkey Creek. If we are unable to get this area, we'll find alternate spot(s) to camp. Dispersed camping abounds in this area, so the worst case scenario is that we may need to camp in smaller groups. In any event, we should know by our rendezvous time if we are are to get the desired area.

If you are planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread, so I can plan accordingly for our group size?

Last edited:
By the way, we'll need Wilderness Permits for this run. They're available either online through recreation.gov, or for pick up at the High Sierra Ranger District office in Prather (on the way up via Hwy 168). I'll have more info at the meeting. See you then!

UPDATE - NO WILDERNESS PERMITS REQUIRED FOR OUR USE.

Last edited:
File under FYI:
people can be on my wilderness permit?

There is a maximum of 15 people on one wilderness permit, and 25 head of stock for day and overnight use. There is no exemption for the people that are visiting the wilderness.

Opinion: I'm down for indivdual payment as $ goes to good use.

Last edited:
File under FYI:
people can be on my wilderness permit?

There is a maximum of 15 people on one wilderness permit, and 25 head of stock for day and overnight use. There is no exemption for the people that are visiting the wilderness.

Opinion: I'm down for indivdual payment as $ goes to good use.
I think Joe is getting a correction on this as he now thinks these wilderness permits are for hikers/backpackers going into the back country. Stay tuned for El Presidente's press conference to be carried live on MudTV.😉

I think Joe is getting a correction on this as he now thinks these wilderness permits are for hikers/backpackers going into the back country. Stay tuned for El Presidente's press conference to be carried live on MudTV.😉
Hi all - Please forgive my erroneous information at the club meeting. After a 2nd discussion with another Ranger from the High Sierra Ranger District office, I have confirmation that the Wilderness Permit is required for hikers/backpackers entering the designated Wilderness Area(s). Motor Vehicles are prohibited in designated Wilderness Areas, so we won't be going there. We will be staying on Forest Roads or designated trails. No permit is required for dispersed camping in the areas we will stay. However, a valid California Campfire Permit is required for all fires, including fuel powered campstoves. The only fires allowed must have a fuel shut-off valve on the fuel source. Wood fires are expressly forbidden, unless they are in metal fire rings and in campgrounds where they are not expressly forbidden. A number of years ago, the Forest Service installed metal fire pits in some remote camp areas. Wood fires are prohibited even in these metal pits under the current restriction orders.

PLEASE SEE MY UPDATES IN POST #1 & POST #2. - THANKS!

Last edited:
I'm in for this trip and can leave a day early if anyone else is interested.

I'm in for this trip and can leave a day early if anyone else is interested.
I'm hoping to leave a day or two early, and I believe John & Sandy Monaco are considering this, too. Let's talk as we get closer!

Hi all - Please forgive my erroneous information at the club meeting. After a 2nd discussion with another Ranger from the High Sierra Ranger District office, I have confirmation that the Wilderness Permit is required for hikers/backpackers entering the designated Wilderness Area(s). Motor Vehicles are prohibited in designated Wilderness Areas, so we won't be going there. We will be staying on Forest Roads or designated trails. No permit is required for dispersed camping in the areas we will stay. However, a valid California Campfire Permit is required for all fires, including fuel powered campstoves. The only fires allowed must have a fuel shut-off valve on the fuel source. Wood fires are expressly forbidden, unless they are in metal fire rings and in campgrounds where they are not expressly forbidden. A number of years ago, the Forest Service installed metal fire pits in some remote camp areas. Wood fires are prohibited even in these metal pits under the current restriction orders.

PLEASE SEE MY UPDATES IN POST #1 & POST #2. - THANKS!
Hey Joe, I will be up there Wednesday afternoon & staying at Dorabelle Campground ( site # 59 ) Wednesday night & Thursday night. My phone number is 714-488-0651

Robin & I plan to leave home mid-day on Wednesday, so we should be up there by the early evening. We'll catch up with Bushwick 51, and maybe do some scouting on Thursday.

Hey all - here's who we have going as far as I know, and as of now. I'll add to this list if we pick up more.

Joe & Robin (trail leader)
Brentbba
Chevota72 (Craig M.) & Socal40 (Ed B.)
Ed, Craig's flat-fender friend
Bushwick51 (John & Sandy)
Big Wave Dave (a.k.a. "Bougie Dave")
Jabronie (Patrick)
Ttoner80 (Dat), may join us if Rubithon goes well & if he leaves early.

If I can get a good enough cell signal in Shaver Lake on Thursday, I'll post any updates on campsites, etc... See you all soon!

Last edited:
Please update where and when are we meeting on Friday. I have the last location in my itinerary.

Last edited:
Time must be flying! Trip is this weekend already! Planning on leaving the OC 9ish I think as of now.

Who else is driving up Thursday that might want to caravan?

Destination will be the gps coordinates Joe has in post 1 for dispursed camping. Google says its a good 5.5 hour drive.

Thinking thurs as well, but o-dark-thirty (say 430a).

Gets me there by noon (in my dream world). Plenty of time for a mountain bike ride.

Can't see doing such a long haul w/o optimizing time in zone. but I will reach out at 930-ish on my departed (yikes) status.

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it :beer:

Thinking thurs as well, but o-dark-thirty (say 430a).

Gets me there by noon (in my dream world). Plenty of time for a mountain bike ride.

Can't see doing such a long haul w/o optimizing time in zone. but I will reach out at 930-ish on my departed (yikes) status.

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it :beer:
Wife would kill me if I set an alarm for a for dark thirty departure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom