August 1970 FJ40 steering box "clunk" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We enjoyed 20 - 30 miles on the "green" trails at Rausch Creek ORP back at end of October. However, I now notice a "clunk" when turning that was not there before. I can feel the TRE up front which seem tight and fine. I start to feel it in the drag link and at the point of the drag link and the steering box I feel the most of the "clunk".

Any suggestions on the issue and parts availability and source?

Thanks in advance all!

Disassemble, check, lube and reassemble and adjust the drag link pivot at the Pitman arm. If that isn't the source, then try adjusting the play in the steering box. It that doesn't cut it, then it is time to rebuild or replace the box. They aren't making new parts for that stuff any more, so you would need to find good used ones.

If you even think there's a chance that it's the steering box, don't drive the truck. The clunk could very well be the sector roller bearing, which could catastrophically fail.

I rebuild these boxes on a regular basis, and keep a good supply of NOS parts in stock to do so. You can call me at the shop to follow up.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net
IMG_0709.JPG

Last edited:
Have you found your answers yet? There are multiple threads on this forum regarding removal from the vehicle. I can't vouch for any of them, as I developed my own way long before this forum existed.

How can I tell if a long shaft or short shaft out of steering box?

There is a cut off date for the change. I'm not sure but I think that a 70 should be the long shaft. If you see a "rag joint" coupling in the steering column near the box, then you have a short shaft. Google "rag joint coupling images" if you are not familiar with them.

Progress?

Not much progress, I have the kit for the drag-link and the tie rod ends. This thing called work is killing me; this time of year things are slow but not this year. I only get to look at it right now. I should be able to do the kit this weekend. I hope to find something worn. It seems to clunk when I go from straight to a left turn and not each time. We'll see soon enough.

I had the same problem even after rebuilding the steering box and all new tie rod ends and rebuilding the front end. I finally found the driver leaf spring perch (mount) loose the rivets were worn and loose. I removed the rivets and replaced them with Grade 8 bolts and now with a tight and solid perch no more clunk while turning.
Good Luck
JP

This is a good point. Loose leafs in the spring pack and/or stretched rivets can also cause a deep clunking sound during turns.

I did replace the springs and Rausch Creek was a good working in test. I'll take a look. Great information! Thanks

Rausch Creek, that'll do it.

My membership card there is still current.;)

Update: I found the plate that holds the leaf spring to axle (front right) damaged with the leading edge bent near flat. Luckily right between the two U-bolt nuts that hold things together. Also the 4 nuts on both front seal plates were not tight, not loose but not right. I straightened the plate and applied loc-tite before tightening the nuts. Snow and salt around right now so did not get to test drive. Still have to check rear axle and then rebuild the one end of the drag-link and perhaps replace the 45+ year old tie rods soon. Thank you MRBOATMAN for your comment to check the springs.

I had the same problem even after rebuilding the steering box and all new tie rod ends and rebuilding the front end. I finally found the driver leaf spring perch (mount) loose the rivets were worn and loose. I removed the rivets and replaced them with Grade 8 bolts and now with a tight and solid perch no more clunk while turning.
Good Luck
JP
That was the issue I'm sure won't know till I take out to drive but nuts loose on U-bolts holding axle to leaf springs.

Dennis

If the ubolts have been loose long enough for this to have been the issue, then your leaf spring center pin has been compromised, if not completely broken. You need to investigate that too.

You might even see, through the front of the spring perch, where the center pin hole has been wallowed out from the pin being run loose.

Best

Mark

The center pins look fine, no visible wear on pin or the hole it fits into. Did the rear U-bolts Sunday, same issue, not loose but not tight. I used the thread lock, medium and re-torqued the four nuts. I think this was the issue but won't know until I test it. Thanks all for the great information.

Hay fellas....I have had the same problem with my saginaw conversion....disassembled and reinstalled and found some binding issues with the u joint. But still had some creeking....I had my 7 year old sit in the seat and turn the wheel for me a few times and was finally able to narrow it down to the driver side leaf spring as mentioned above....

Last edited:
...So you found the tech in this thread useful?

As always...of course!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom