Audio/Video Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a frequent recipient of the knowledge found on 'Mud, but a rare contributor I thought I would take a few minutes to share the most recent upgrade to the LC. Following a ski trip to Breckenridge this past March the factory head unit decided that the CD player would need some help if it were to continue playing those old fashioned (according to my iPod toting kids) music discs; i.e. insert one and lightly jam a second behind to encourage the first disc to load. This worked well in warm weather but was unsucessful when temps dropped below 50. The factory antenna quit working 2 years ago but my commute is 4 miles one way and the local stations came in fine so I left unwell enough alone.

Skip to mid-July and 5 days before a 1600 mile trip from NWA to New Orleans, Gulf Shores and Destin and there is sudden panic from the passengers that the hours on the road are going to be unbearable with the sub-par performing stereo.

I am by no means an audiophile or video guru so I turned to 'Mud, checked what others had done and jumped on Crutchfield.com.

I won't bore anyone with the details b/c it has been said and done before, but the install went without a hitch and Crutchfield supplied everything I needed when I told them what I was looking to do with the equipment.

As installed the unit will play a DVD that can be viewed in the HU and headrests at the same time or will playback DVD from the HU to headrests only while sourcing CD/Sirius/iPod/Tuner for the front of the cabin all while running the Garmin GPS to William's Plum Street Snowballs. The amp was chosen for its dimensions and so I could fade the sound to the front while the kids watched movies in the back. My son figured out the wireless headphones while my daughter taught me how the Kenwood remote worked.

All in all it took about 5 hours to run the wires (seemed like 500 feet or more?) and button the dash back up before we hit the highway. Over the course of 6 days on the road the unit worked flawlessly and we managed to move 1/2 a dozen Red Box movies around the South-picking one up here and dropping it there when grabbing another.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted their installs and reviews as it made the process manageable for someone with limited stereo knowledge.
TheGoods.JPG
DuringInstall.JPG
PostInstall.JPG

Nice!!!

Would you mind posting the names/brands of the various components you used. I'm really interested in the displays in the headrests: something I've been doing research on and plan on attempting 'soon' !

Thanx... jonathan

BTW, very cool install. Looks waaaaay slick !

About the only component that is not visible (from a make/model standpoint) are the video headrests. They are an ESS 9". On long trips where we are few in the rig my daughter likes to sit in the 3rd row (with the 2nd row folded). That is the only reason I did not go with the ESS 7" (~$100 cheaper).

I opted for splitters from the head unit to the monitors (they are ONLY monitors) so that the DVD from the head unit would/could play the same video simultaneously. The headrests come with a cheesy cable that connects the 2 so that you only need to source 1 headrest with video but it would have dangled between the seats and killed the clean install.

The monitors have an aux input so you could watch a movie on one and play a game on the other if you wanted/needed that option.

As I mentioned, I installed the make/model of amp soley on the size (fits under drivers seat with lots of room) and the 4 channels so I could fade the sound up front based on how the rear of the Cruiser is being utilized.

The head unit will source front/rear so I can listen to an iPod up front while playing video to the rear (in the headrests).

I'm not an audiophile my any stretch and that is why I referred to Mud and carefully explained my expectations to Crutchfield. Between the 2 I was bound to be steered in the right direction.

There are LOTS of options for head units and amps so take your time and know what you want. I knew I wanted Garmin GPS and the ability to update the maps so I was locked on Kenwood and from there it was degrees of options that made the decision.

Install was straightforward and the majority of my time was spent running/hiding wires. I had previously replaced my speakers due to them being blown so that was not a concern this go around, but if you are in need of those there is also great info on Mud about them as well.

:cheers:

Great posting and explanation !

Thank You !

That's pretty slick!!

I want to get something similar for my Sienna!

Thanks for posting!

Nice job! :cheers:

Like it or not, you are an audio/videophile vicariously through your children!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom