Audio Experts, I need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have read many threads about making the switch over to a new head unit so I understand about bypassing the factory amp and all the other things. Here is my question. My land cruiser already had an aftermarket head unit installed when I bought it, so would that mean all that wiring is already complete? The sound is clear so I would guess so just going off what others say happens without doing it. Anything I can look for to be sure? Also, how do I get the antenna buttons to work again? the Antenna raises and lowers fine by turning on and off the vehicle, but I get no response when using the button.

edit: Here is a picture of the amp if it makes a difference. there is obviously some rewiring and an attachment is unplugged...

Last edited:
That amp looks to be bypassed. The antenna manual control not working I'm guessing means they took some shortcuts during install and bypassed that circuit. Maybe I've got amnesia, but I don't recall doing anything fancy to retain the antenna control. I'd have to look at the OEM wiring manual. If I remember I'll grab it tonight and post up a picture of that circuit.

What year is your car?

i just installed a new HU and amp. PO had cheap single DIN in there not exactly wired correctly. if you have good sound to all speakers and no HUM, you could compare the harness wiring from your existing pioneer to something you are looking to buy. maybe start with pioneers. they are very good units. i went with a sony carplay unit, but kinda wish i had waited til now to buy and bought a pioneer. a think new ones just hit the market.

anyway, i have a 2000 LC with the no frills sound system. the harness that is cut is the one bringing power into the amp and then carried onto the HU through the and by means of the harness on the left. most of the wires in the left harness go directly to the back of the HU. in the harness connector behind the headunit, there are two black with red wires. one is the remote turn on for the amp and the other is the ON signal for the antenna. typically aftermarket antenna wires are blue or blue with white. for my setup i joined together the remote OUT from the HU with the amp remote wire, the antenna ON wire, and the parking bypass sense wire. so 4 wires joined together. and everything works as it should. pulling the dash piece is very easy. pops right out. then just 4 screws and you could see clear as day how the PO wired the existing HU

You'll get a lot better sound if you install an aftermarket amp. I went with a Kenwood class D amp, I'll have to get model number later if you're interested.

Agree with @RiverRatMatt.

An aftermarket amp - generally speaking - sound much better than OEM.

I have a Focal AB amp and love it.

I've got a 4 channel class D - if you're interested PM me, it needs to find a new home since it is sitting on a shelf in my garage and I'd make you a good deal.

To everyone who is switching the Amps, are the stock speakers working well with the aftermarket amp or replacing the oem Speakers be a good idea as well?

i installed a pioneer 5 channel amp with my HU and added an 8" pioneer sub in a box. i cant confirm, but was told none of the POs swapped speakers in the past. i surprised that actually it didnt sound too bad. certainly livable for the time being. im sure ill upgrade the speakers sometime in the next 12 months but they are fine for now. i really feel the amp is the weakest link. of course if your OEM speakers foam rings are toast they need to be replaced. whatever silly version of factory of sub in the back, it def is not adding much. if you have room to put at least an 8" back there there somewhere, it will even out the existing speakers.

in your pic above with the cut wires, the PO cut the speaker wires and ran them directly to the HU most likely. the factory amp is most likely completely out of the mix, being powered by a wimpy single DIN HU. i def also vote for replace the HU and amp at the same time.

amp install inspiration. modded one of the factory brackets. there are hex standoffs using factory tapped holes underneath the alum on the left. had to cut away a good chunk of plastic under the carpet to make it fit.

IMG-2793.JPG
IMG-2799.JPG

To everyone who is switching the Amps, are the stock speakers working well with the aftermarket amp or replacing the oem Speakers be a good idea as well?
I'm definitely satisfied with the OEM speakers and sub, so I'd upgrade the amp first and see if they suit you. The amp I went with is a Kenwood X801-5 amp (5 channel, class D [runs cooler])

amp install inspiration. modded one of the factory brackets. there are hex standoffs using factory tapped holes underneath the alum on the left. had to cut away a good chunk of plastic under the carpet to make it fit.

View attachment 1957167View attachment 1957168
I have the exact same amp I am looking to install in my 05 LX. Good to know that the factory amp location is enough to fit it. But, I also have the nav unit in this location... that could prove to be a challenge.

I was surprised at how much room is underneath it once installed. I used a 14 and 40mm long standoff so there is almost an inch and a half under the right side of it. With trial and error with the seat, im sure it could be raised some more and perhaps put the nav ecu under the amp.

the Antenna raises and lowers fine by turning on and off the vehicle, but I get no response when using the button.
My guess is they cut the factory antenna wire instead of simply splicing the head unit into it. Pull off the bezel and pull out the radio and look for a lonely wire with the same color that's connected to the aftermarket head unit's blue wire.

I just added a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX with rear view camera to my LX. A lot of extra things to hook up and find (reverse signal, gps, speed sensor, microphone, etc) but totally worth it. Added usb carplay/aa inputs where the cig lighter was. To do all of this I had to do the NAV delete first. Happy to help with any questions, here's the finished product:

AIUfjKI.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom