1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A4 question.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by srafj40, Jul 8, 2005.

1. srafj40

srafj40

If you could (insert T's coy smile), which would it be and why;

2.0 T quattro 6 speed manual

or

3.2 v-6 quattro with 6-speed Tiptronic automatic (not available in 6-speed manual :frown: )

I need opinions, the :princess: is test driving at this very moment, and I get some input.

2. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

I have driven the A4TT and it was incredable! That said, given the choice between a turbo v non turbo for a daily driver, I'd pick the non turbo. This is just an uneducated opinion.

Fly Rod :cheers:

3. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

2.0T for me. Just feels like the car was meant to have it. I think it feels more agile as well.

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Gimme the understressed, plenty o' reserve torque to run all the accessories, torque converter easing the shift shock, V6 model. In Quattro.

DougM

5. firetruck41

firetruck41

6. speyrod

speyrod

I would go with the TT and get a chip. I had an a8 and loved teh car but wished it had a manual. The TT just provides more options, have you checked www.audiworld.com prolly a better place to ask

7. firetruck41

firetruck41

2.0T is not a twin turbo, is it? I thought only the S4 had TT? The 2.0T is the base model, I think.

8. 4dmalamute

4dmalamute

I had a A4 Turbo and it kicked some ass!! Actually the wifes car..........BUT, lets just say when the turbo goes out (and it will at some point) you best have the funds to fix it! The audi people kept telling "oh sorry to hear about the turbo, it might set you back a bit"..........uhhhhh yes it did! All and all though, go with the turbo, it just feels right is all! :beer:

9. Urrrk

Urrrk

Media:
    Albums:
    Wife's car is a 2000 1.8 turbo with the tiptronic. I like it. If you can go tiptronic and not have a clutch I say go for it, cause there's really no reason to be bothering with a stupid clutch anyway. And I used to be a big fan of cars with clutches.

Anyhoo, the Audi is a technological wonder, but it sure is expensive when it needs repairs, and it seems to need repairs often (relative to a toyota). But, oh baby, is it sporty.

-e

10. srafj40

srafj40

Well her preference was the 3.2. As far as repair, Audi said 5 years or 50,000 miles. I need to look into what exactly it covers.

11. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Now let her drive the 4.2L S4.... :D

12. tea LC

tea LC

i've had most versions of the a4 from the 6 to the 4 turbo

and btw, there's is no A4TT whoever wrote that..

the 6 cyl was nice, the power was consistent, the road handling was great, but the steering is much heavier feeling than the 4 cyl

the 4 cyl is very agile in comparison and the turbo can be rechipped to get the power band near the 6 cyl

imo i would get a 4 cyl turbo, drive it for a few months to make sure no coil packs are bad or the fuel pump < seems to be the only issues with audis but its very haphazard, but the peeps on audiworld.com wont STFU when it goes bad > then add the chip for $600ish and u'll have the 6cyl power

i've since upgraded to the S4 with the 8 cyl but i wont even go there :D

13. Stone

Stone Moderator

My cousin has a newer A4 4cyl (though not the newest one)...I found it a bit anaemic. Spending that kind of money, might as well go for the V6, IMHO. But maybe with some mods, the 4cyl can feel nicer, as suggested by TeaLC.

14. neowulf

neowulf

i dont know if you got it over there but i would go for 1,9tdi avant quattro 6spd. manual , and chip it.

in any case i would not have the tiptronick, id rather tune up the 2,0t

15. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

You are correct it was the S4 that I drove.

A couple of years ago I was jonesing for what was the RS4 (I think) Wagon.

Age is hell on the memory (and mamories!)

Fly Rod :cheers:

16. VZLAFZJ80

VZLAFZJ80

I think you have to make the choice based on your personal preference, whether you prefer manual or automatic. The 3.2 should have plenty of power on the A4, I just got back from Orlando about 30 min. ago. Took my mom’s 05 A6 3.2 which should be heavier, and I was impressed how well it did on the highway. Made it from Orlando to Miami (about 260 miles) with less than half a tank driving at 100-110 all the way down, I believe the 3.2 is the way to go if you don’t mind the automatic. If you want true power go for the S4, almost bought one for myself about a year ago, it is a sick car!

17. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

Have an 03 A4 Quattor 3.0L, 30 valve w/ 6-speed as my dd. Quite an improvement over the 2.8. The close ratios of the 6-speed make the thing quick at highway speed. Audi's have never been quick off the line. The handling is great (also improved from the earlier A4's as the turning point for the front wheels has been moved "inside" the wheel = no torque steer). Had a 98 A4 w/ triptronic - what a waste of $1100. Damn thing "remembers" your recent driving patterns so if you've been stuck in stop-and-go traffic then stand on it - you go very slowly. Test drove the S4 - wicked fast but the V-8 is a gas hog. I prefer the power of the V-6 over the turbo-lag of the 2.0 but you're limited w/ chip upgrades. The 2.0 has been around a long time and can be tuned quite easily. Just my $.02.

Harry

18. WALoeIII

WALoeIII

19. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Personally, I'd go with the 2.0 Turbo. It's lighter, manual tranny, and a lot cheaper. You can chip the 2.0T and get about 265hp.

20. John E Davies

John E Davies

The Turbo cries out to be chipped and run hard. The V6 has a much more laid back feel to it.

My wife drives a 2000 A4 1.8T chipped to 207 bhp/ 240 ft/lbs. It has a Tiptronic, and I hate that trannie! But she has a bum left knee and needs an automatic.

If you haven't been there already, check out

http://www.audiworld.com/

My personal feelings about the A4 after 5 years 70K miles:

Delightful to drive
    Gorgeous (but NOT the horribly ugly 2006!)
    Not especially well put together, other than the drivetrain
    Ludicrously high prices for OEM parts, but there are cheap sources for older cars.

Would I buy another? Probably not.

John