Au Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My shop in Colorado was the starting point for this build. When we bought this 1978 fj55 in 2011, the idea was to build our ultimate cruiser. Initially a Cummins six was in the plans, with a 1992 Dodge W250 drive line. The tear down started in the fall of 2011. The body and frame were very rust free,a good start.

I was getting close to retiring, so this project was going to be my first after quitting my day job. We decided to relocate to Missouri to be closer to family. That process took a couple of years. The pig sat quietly on the rotisserie waiting it’s turn.

The new place didn’t have a place to work on projects other than the dirt. Got a nice shop built and tools inside. Managed to pick up a running and driving 1973 pig I called Coyote. Somehow Coyote stole the space and got a lot of work done on the running gear.

Then life threw us a curve ball in the form of a stroke. My wife managed to survive the cardiovascular insult, but recovery has been slow. She constantly reminds me that we cannot see the future. The decision was made to stop putting bandaids on Coyote for now. Instead we are moving forward on the pristine ‘78. I have always said it was our golden one as far as a starting point.

The body is off of the rotisserie for now as I finish the deconstruction. The frame will be on the rotisserie for media blasting and painting. The freshly redone axles from Coyote will find a home under the frame when painted.

I am thankful to have these small slices of garage time. The build will take longer, but at least I still have my partner.

Given the recent rise in prices for parts on these old rigs, they are worth their weight in gold. Thinking of calling this one Au Pig. Au being the periodic table symbol for gold. Will try to post plenty of pictures for your viewing pleasure as this build progresses, however slowly.
5713344E-DDA6-4AB8-A1A0-65EF79AF2BF3.jpeg
DB187701-942D-4C13-B2ED-A1DEC56B61C7.jpeg

Very good and glad to hear your wife is fighting back. Life certainly has a way of biting all of us when we're least expecting it. Get one built and use it up, that's my plan anyway. Look forward to the progress.

Got the cargo windows out without breaking them. The 41 year old seals are in surprisingly good shape. I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of glycerine and water on them a couple of days ago to soften the old rubber. Worked well and looks like I can reuse them. Windshield removal went pretty quick, since it was cracked anyway. Glad most of the rust I’ve come across is minimal.

630A5EC6-206F-46D9-A1F5-02E74B961E63.jpeg

73F6E07C-BDF0-4DDD-A04D-E20251446EE2.jpeg

I admire the way your woman is always on your mind. They truly make the world go around. Sounds like you found a keeper, good luck to the two of you...

I saw your thread and thought it was about an Australian (AU) Pig!

As @bobm said “more “...

An Australian Pig would be quite the unicorn over here. I do like those cool barn doors they have.

:popcorn:

Got the Benz motor/transmission on stands to separate them. Nice thing about Coyote still in garage, I can mock up where motor mounts will need to be. 78 frame still in storage container for another week or so. Hope to media blast it soon.

A979E646-9B83-4E8C-B403-96793BB0E873.jpeg

Still removing unnecessary parts from the Benz engine. Hope to start it soon. Also still tearing down the body. Removed headliner this afternoon which resulted in a real sh#t storm. Literally, mouse dung from the last several decades just rolled out as I pulled it down. Trying to preserve it for a pattern, when the time arrives. Loving this warm weather!

C613C2ED-A822-441D-99D1-8EC9039F401A.jpeg

Started the Benz engine today! Hasn’t been ran in over a decade. Discovered the lift pump leaks, so used an electric fuel pump to fill IP. Cycled glow plugs a couple of times, and bled the injector lines. Happy how well it sounds. Tried to load a video, but says too large of a file.

Managed to get some garage time today. Ordered my OM617 to H55F adapter from 4x4 Labs. They need my 2F flywheel to drill MB crank bolt holes. Got it all apart without too much aggravation. Took the “4 speed” bellhousing over to check it on the h55f. Some PO had put a 3 speed bellhousing on at some point. Anyone have a real 4 speed bellhousing they’d like to part with? Hoping the “5 speed” is really a 5 speed. Guy I did trade with is less than honest I’m finding out.

Found a bellhousing on eBay from cruiserjunction. Ordered my adapter from 4x4 labs. Pricey for what you’re getting. An adapter plate and machined hub. Ad says flywheel included, but you send you old one in to be drilled. Makes me wish I had a metal lathe and JMack’s mad a$$ skills. At current expenses, I’ve got less than $1,000 left to finish this build and stay in the 5K range you all claim. :)

Makes me wish I had a metal lathe and JMack’s mad a$$ skills. At current expenses, I’ve got less than $1,000 left to finish this build and stay in the 5K range you all claim. :)

There are a few universal truths in life:
  1. We all wish we had @J Mack mad a$$ skills
  2. We all spend less than $5k on our Pigs...
AmIrite?

Last edited:
Well I just recalculated my total so far. Must be done cause I’m a little over 5K. Just wish it looked done...or drove.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom