Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Without any kind of frame it’s just not very sturdy. I’m sure with some basic fabrication it could be ok but the way I mounted it wasn’t great for strength.

I just used some hose clamps at the top and a strap on the bottom.

I will have to respectfully disagree , I will post some pics of the one made and I think it’s pretty sturdy. I took your build as my inspiration and I feel confident in a accident what I have will stop any projectiles from the back. The only thing I did different really was strap the bottom of the barrier to the head rest posts.

The strap-on retainer screen looked at least as sturdy as the one I built and bolted into the 4 6mm grab handle holes. Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series

I pretty much did this without the angle iron brackets. The shelf and barrier are all connected and mounted via the grab handle holes and head rests.

I will have to respectfully disagree , I will post some pics of the one made and I think it’s pretty sturdy. I took your build as my inspiration and I feel confident in a accident what I have will stop any projectiles from the back. The only thing I did different really was strap the bottom of the barrier to the head rest posts.

I pretty much did this without the angle iron brackets. The shelf and barrier are all connected and mounted via the grab handle holes and head rests.

I should clarify, the lack of strength I was talking about was due to the way mine was secured. The strap on mine was only attached to the seat cover, not the seat itself.

My plan was to get a set of some headrest hangars and modify them to hold the bottom of the barrier, then attach some sort of hinge on the top so the barrier could be rotated up out of the way and secured to the attic rack if needed.

72600B70-DD65-4CE2-9812-5E96C7486ACC.jpeg

I’m looking forward to seeing what you have done.

Last edited:
I should clarify, the lack of strength I was talking about was due to the way mine was secured. The strap on mine was only attached to the seat cover, not the seat itself.

My plan was to get a set of some headrest hangars and modify them to hold the bottom of the barrier, then attach some sort of hinge on the top so the barrier could be rotated up out of the way and secured to the attic rack if needed.

View attachment 1872591

I’m looking forward to seeing what you have done.

So here is my set up. I had a bunch of the display grid lying around. I made some brackets but I made the height of the shelf adjustable. I currently have it level with the top of the rear windows as I feel this will “hide” stuff better from view. But I may drop it some to allow more room. Once I find a level I like, I will cut the excess off.

68432BF5-5274-4F33-93D5-DD03FAF0008A.jpeg

The barrier is attached to the rack via stock grid panel attachment clamps. They are basically sandwich clamps. The bottom is secured to the head rest posts via a rubber bungee cord. It’s nice and taught, plus easily removable. That way if I need to flip the seats forward I just unhook it and go. The bonous with the sandwich clamps is that I can easily loosen them with a quick few turn of a screw driver and rotate the barrier up to the bottom of the rack. This makes the whole back of the truck usable very easily.

78648566-68E6-4C7C-88F0-337B22FD8911.jpeg

My shelf sits a little closer to the rear hatch than most I have seen. That is because the cargo barrier has to to follow the slope of the rear seats. I suppose you don’t have to angle is but then the shelf sticks out and hits the passengers head.

9CAFC1AF-F8C2-4134-A518-85D4C7F9CB8A.jpeg

I feel very confident in its ability to stop things from flying. To the front and dogs from hoping the rear bench.

294A015F-B674-44F6-9660-0BB0B1602B97.jpeg

So here is my set up. I had a bunch of the display grid lying around. I made some brackets but I made the height of the shelf adjustable. I currently have it level with the top of the rear windows as I feel this will “hide” stuff better from view. But I may drop it some to allow more room. Once I find a level I like, I will cut the excess off.

View attachment 1881675

The barrier is attached to the rack via stock grid panel attachment clamps. They are basically sandwich clamps. The bottom is secured to the head rest posts via a rubber bungee cord. It’s nice and taught, plus easily removable. That way if I need to flip the seats forward I just unhook it and go. The bonous with the sandwich clamps is that I can easily loosen them with a quick few turn of a screw driver and rotate the barrier up to the bottom of the rack. This makes the whole back of the truck usable very easily.

View attachment 1881674

My shelf sits a little closer to the rear hatch than most I have seen. That is because the cargo barrier has to to follow the slope of the rear seats. I suppose you don’t have to angle is but then the shelf sticks out and hits the passengers head.

View attachment 1881676
I feel very confident in its ability to stop things from flying. To the front and dogs from hoping the rear bench.

View attachment 1881677

This is outstanding. Thank you for sharing!

This is outstanding. Thank you for sharing!
I appreciate it, thanks. I felt I should probably start contributing after all I have learned and taken.

The whole thing is all made with hand tools and a cut off wheel. I don’t have a welder, so anyone could do this.

View attachment 1881675

View attachment 1881674

View attachment 1881676

View attachment 1881677

Nice use of display rack

Find more overhead storage threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom