Attic Rack Gear! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New Mexico.....close to Colorado as I can
So I have seen a ton of people make/buy their attic racks but I haven't seen what people put up there. If they did post a pic their wasn't a list so I figured make a post, hopefully this one goes better then tail gate storage gear thread, of what everyone is putting up there. I'll start..I have a winter jacket, 2 blankets, tarp, extra boots, shemagh(tactical/military scarf), work gloves, first aid kit, bubba rope, traction boards, extra shirts, just in case (jumper cables, wrenches, safety cones, flashlight, zip ties and duct tape) and paper towel holder. Still have room for more stuff! Pics also gals/guys, nobody likes a thread like this without pictures!
20151101_170446.jpg

Mine looks like yours, but I have a fire extinguisher under the passenger side, and a roll of trash bags next to the paper towels. I also added some small Bluetooth speakers for sleeping/movies in the back...

I'm not familiar with this mod. Does the rack attach where the grab handles bolt on?

I'm not familiar with this mod. Does the rack attach where the grab handles bolt on?

Yes, either to the grab handles with hose clamps or to the grab handle's mounting holes with a bracket.

Mine just has a comforter and a couple pillows on it. Attached underneath is my fishing pole and a paper towel holder.

As did many others, I got the idea for an attic rack in this thread. Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series I started with a basic Home depot shelf, and band clamps holding it to the third row handles. Then I decided to remake it with a cargo cage, and built some brackets. I find some things fall off the top of the rack as I drive. I have it filled with things that shouldn't kill me if they came at me if I hit something head on.

My rack currently has a couple rolls of paper towels wedged up there, a roll of toilet paper. The hardest packages I have up there are a rain poncho, a blue poly tarp, and some paper plates.
20150702_201254 (800x431).jpg

View attachment 1164388 As did many others, I got the idea for an attic rack in this thread. Attic racks made cheap and easy - 80 series I started with a basic Home depot shelf, and band clamps holding it to the third row handles. Then I decided to remake it with a cargo cage, and built some brackets. I find some things fall off the top of the rack as I drive. I have it filled with things that shouldn't kill me if they came at me if I hit something head on.

My rack currently has a couple rolls of paper towels wedged up there, a roll of toilet paper. The hardest packages I have up there are a rain poncho, a blue poly tarp, and some paper plates.

I hold mine down with smaller bungee cords. So far nothing has moved or fallen off. Might take mine back down and build a wall for the front just to make sure nothing falls and hits the kidos.

The way I pack, if I ever rolled my truck, I'm sure it would seem like I was rolling in a box full of flying rocks. I don't have much tied down. On the other hand, way back when I was in drivers education, I was told a story of unknown factuality. Supposedly, a woman died in a car crash, and she had a triangular hole in the back of her head. The police tied to figure out what had killed her. They eventually came to find a box of Kleenex on the floor of the rear seat. They think it had been on the rear window deck. When she hit a car, the Kleenex kept moving at the speed she'd been driving, and the corner of the box punctured her skull.

It could just be teachers trying to scare kids into keeping their cars clean. I still try to keep things from being in a line with the back of my head if they continued the direction of travel.

I'm thinking of getting some smoked plexiglass and making a front partition for the shelf. Anyone else do that?

The way I pack, if I ever rolled my truck, I'm sure it would seem like I was rolling in a box full of flying rocks. I don't have much tied down. On the other hand, way back when I was in drivers education, I was told a story of unknown factuality. Supposedly, a woman died in a car crash, and she had a triangular hole in the back of her head. The police tied to figure out what had killed her. They eventually came to find a box of Kleenex on the floor of the rear seat. They think it had been on the rear window deck. When she hit a car, the Kleenex kept moving at the speed she'd been driving, and the corner of the box punctured her skull.

It could just be teachers trying to scare kids into keeping their cars clean. I still try to keep things from being in a line with the back of my head if they continued the direction of travel.

Yes, that is an old, long standing myth and I think everyone believed it at one point or another in their life.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting some smoked plexiglass and making a front partition for the shelf. Anyone else do that?

I would just grab a piece of sheet metal and cut to fit and probably weld on and paint to match. It would be easier for me but a piece of plexiglass might be easier for others.

Find more overhead storage threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom