Attic fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have rear facing carseats in my truck, and a third row. It gets hot back there and the rear-facing car seats get no airflow. Summer is coming, and the Carolinas are oppressive once the humidity and heat unify to overthrow humanity.

In seeking to copy @jcardona1's attic setup it also seems opportune to install a forward facing fan (or two) in the center, and two rear facing fans for those children incarcerated in the third row. I want to control them (the fans) from the front seat (on/off; adjust speed), but also have local controls on the fans themselves.

Search has turned up nothing.

I've also searched for small fans that could work. Not much has come up. Now I turn to you, oh gurus of the mud.

Has anyone done something like this?

Who makes a good quality fan that could work? Perhaps 4 inch diameter?

@NLXTACY do you have a line on switches that could fit in the coin slots for controlling actuation and fan speed?

I'm a big fan of Caframo fans in 12v applications like this:

http://www.caframolifestylesolutions.com/product-types/fans/

I've used the ultimate in both sailboat and campers where I run them overnight while sleeping, and on hot days while stationary and underway/driving. I've also used brushless 12v computer type fans which have their benefits as well and come in a variety of sizes and amp draw/cfm/etc.

The caframo ultimate comes with a stationary mount as well as a suction cup mount and you can power it via a cig. outlet or direct wire. I've gone both routes and have also put magnets on the the base of a few to use in an older car with lots of exposed steel. One or two ultimates may be all that you need to cool the 3rd row and you could get by with suction cup mounting them on the rear windows for a while as you dial the setup in. The other caframo models with protection around the blades are also great options though in my tests don't move quite as much air.

I would check out 12v squirrel cage fans too, more cfm from a smaller footprint.

You put 2 car seats in the 3rd row? No way I'd put even 1 in the 3rd row.

With my AC on high it takes very little time to cool off the entire interior. Might be easier to get remote start & high idle.

Also a fan of the Caframos. In the limited space back there, its only a matter of time before someone gets whacked, or the fan falls off and wrecks the blade hub. Under that circumstance, the rubber blades protect, and when the hub self destructs Caframo sells replacement blades. I've used one for 20 years on our boat. 2 blades and nothing else even shows wear.

You put 2 car seats in the 3rd row? No way I'd put even 1 in the 3rd row.

With my AC on high it takes very little time to cool off the entire interior. Might be easier to get remote start & high idle.

No. I put three car seats in the second row. Usually only one is rear facing, but sometimes I have two rear facing. Those little guys are dripping with sweat even when the AC is cranked all the way up. The bigger kids are sent to the third row and are always complaining of being too hot.

It may be time for dynamat and some closed foam insulation under the carpet.

Also a fan of the Caframos. In the limited space back there, its only a matter of time before someone gets whacked, or the fan falls off and wrecks the blade hub. Under that circumstance, the rubber blades protect, and when the hub self destructs Caframo sells replacement blades. I've used one for 20 years on our boat. 2 blades and nothing else even shows wear.

Thank you. I'll check out the caframo website.

A little ABS plastic to make a housing & one of these comes to mind:

Mayfair Bilge Blower Flange Mount

12v & squirrel cage, 112 CFM - add some sort of rheostat / dimmer & you have some air movement.

also consider some good tinting on the windows, good ceramic tinting makes a world of difference to blocking incoming heat, I use a small clip on fan pointed to the 3rd row for our dog back there, works well.

No. I put three car seats in the second row.
I may be in the same situation (same location too, just not rear facing seats). If you haven't already, ensure a good cooling system service has been done, especially the oft-overlooked fan clutch. I got mine last fall when it was still warm but not hot anymore. I noticed that it really only blew "cold" air when driving at speed. Checked clutch and it was free spinning. 5 bucks for new fluid and a weekend to drain the old stuff makes for a lot more air being pulled through the ac condenser now.

I have been that kid in the 3rd row driving through the carolinas in July. :eek:

My first suggestion would be window tint and thorough going-through of the AC to make sure it's working at it's peak. I have no input on the fan situation, but sounds like some good suggestions have been offered.

For factory switches to fit factory locations. I use these (00550-35976) also available without an indicator light. Relabeled to fit your needs

switch-jpg.355773

I like this idea. Will these fit in the coin slots?

Yes along with the center dash and slots to the left of the wheel
Fan switch relabeled for our 80 series Aux Fan kits

img_5544-jpg.1324798

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom