1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attic fan makes bathroom smell like poo....

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by baldboy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. baldboy

baldboy

Soooo... today the A/C went out in the house I rent.
    I turned the attic fan on and opened my bedroom windows. Ahhh nice breeze. Anyhow, I go to use the restroom and ughhh... a stench worse than I imagine ericsbruiser's dog's ear alien smelling. I mean it smells like someone burned some poop and then ate it and then vomited it up three hours later.

No, neither me, nor my roomates have taken a dump in there in at least 6 hours.

What is stinking up the place?

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Gotta be something with the vent stack. How does the attic fan work? Is it a gable fan or one that sits on the roof itself?

I'm wondering if it somehow pulled or pushed the water out of the tub or sink trap and is letting the sewer gasses in.

run the water in the sink and tub and see if that helps

3. baldboy

baldboy

It is a gable fan. I will try running some water.
    Thanks.

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

x2 on a dry trap somewhere.

-Spike

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I'm no plumber at all, but here's my off the cuff diagnoses.

Your vent stack is improperly installed or broken off in the attic. You have inadiquate or plugged soffet vents. Your attic fan pulled the attic into low pressure enough that the open vent stack pulled the water out of at least one of the traps and then started drawing sewer gas up the vent stack.

Possible?

6. baldboy

baldboy

If the parts you refer to are anything like the rest of the house (which is COMPLETELY rigged-swinging walls, falling doors, etc...) Then what you surmise sounds about right.

Thanks for all of the input..

I opened up the bathroom window and ran some water and the stink has ceased a little.

Thanks again....

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">