attention nissan guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wonder why the pictures they choose to show are the ones outback uses from Japan? They said the tires have 20,000 kms on them now....so why not show a current picture.

I would not buy that model myself. But I bet it has lots of crossover parts with the pathfinder.

Wanna buy a HZJ73 for 10k? There is one here in Smithers for sale. About 200k kms on it.

well i have been looking at new small hatch backs the dealers are having a hard time selling cars right now and are offering stupid low financing ( some 0%) for up to 5 years or 0.9% for 7 years so far i have test drove the honda fit ,kia rio and vw rabbit , i havent quite decided if i should buy a brand new econo box or get back into a jdm diesel .

the lure of 0% financing and 3 to 5 years of warranty is quite strong not to mention the high price of both gas and diesel , the honda fit 5 spd gets you $2000 off from the provincial goverment for beinhg a fuel sipper .

well i have been looking at new small hatch backs the dealers are having a hard time selling cars right now and are offering stupid low financing ( some 0%) for up to 5 years or 0.9% for 7 years so far i have test drove the honda fit ,kia rio and vw rabbit , i havent quite decided if i should buy a brand new econo box or get back into a jdm diesel .

the lure of 0% financing and 3 to 5 years of warranty is quite strong not to mention the high price of both gas and diesel , the honda fit 5 spd gets you $2000 off from the provincial goverment for beinhg a fuel sipper .

I think you should keep it in the Toyota family, maybe a Yaris HB or Sedan.
GG

i went to toyota , i was planning on the corrola xrs , they couldnt have bothered with me , overall i came out of toyota dissapointed also toyota obviously has no problem selling thier cars because they are not offering and discounts or finacing incentives on thier product line up , as well the honda fit smokes the yarris in all of the online reviews i have read , i read that corrolas actualy sell them selves and the sales people just dont care because all they have to do is hand the paper work to you and show you where to sign .

from what ive read on the internet toyota's sales have slid 4% , so i imagine if i wait long enough the incentives will come .

Having a driveway full of Toyota's (literally), I would highly recommend sticking with 'yota. My 2000 Echo has just over 220,000 km now, gets 40+ mpg, and aside from changing the plugs at around the recommened 195k mark, its just had regular oil changes. I drive 60km total each day, great little communter car. Our '02 Sienna Van, at around 150k, has had zero issues as well.
You can pick up a used Echo for anywhere in the $5-8k range, or if you want spanky new..the Yaris is the new version, and a little sportier looking. Both the Yaris and the Corolla will get you the government rebate as well.

I bought the Echo from Budget on Marine drive in Vancouver, it was a rental with 50k on it when purchased in '01. They were pretty good to deal with.

Last edited:
It is an over priced Pathfinder (no SFA) with a nice "small" diesel. You can buy and import a full sized Safari or Land Cruiser with money to service it properly and still not touch $12,000.

And then run into issues like Marcin has. Not always, not all the time...as there are great deals to be had. But, are you willing to take the chance. See...companies that front tens of thousands of dollars to have stock from Japan have learned to do pretty much do it all (at least the good ones), cause callbacks cost. It does not take long to eat up any profit. I'm trying to give some balance here, because the lowest price is not always the best, nor should it be the law. Sometimes (and I've heard it too much in the last 5-7 years) that screaming deal can end up costing you more then one which has had it all done.

To give balance...not always; however often enough that a wise shopper will not simply follow one mantra. The wise shopper will research both sides and decide thier risk profile.

gb

To give balance...not always; however often enough that a wise shopper will not simply follow one mantra. The wise shopper will research both sides and decide thier risk profile.
gb

As the grasshopper once said to the master "you are very wise old wise one":D

Yes, there is considerable risk to buying and importing from Japan. Marcin's rig was bought froma dealer up Island, I believe. In some circles here in Canada, he has a very bad reputation. There is risk buying any used vehicle regardless of where. The only way to manage the risk is to do a lot of research and to be patient until the right rig comes along. Of course, if you have the opportunity, always get an independent inspection done. From experience and what I have seen a great many people deal with, you should set aside another $2,000 to $3,000 for any diesel JDM you buy here or there. If there is a warranty, you better find out what it covers and to what amount. Often it is only powertrain and a set amount of say $1,500. A turbo rebuild, new injectors, IP seals/or rebuild would not be included and can quickly go beyond $3,000.

I still think that the Terrano is way over priced for what it is. But everyone has their own idea of what is a good deal and what is a big risk.

As the grasshopper once said to the master "you are very wise old wise one":D

Na, just seen a thing or two and lived my own mistakes. And, even if you do all your research and make a choice...still is the chance something can go wrong. I've lived that too. Yes, bet if you were to bring over a vehicle, do "everything" that can be done to cover bases so you are starting as fresh and known as possible you would be well over $3000.00: Easy. Someone bringing over a personal vehicle can take chances and assess/leave things out for another day.

gb

I bought the Echo from Budget on Marine drive in Vancouver, it was a rental with 50k on it when purchased in '01. They were pretty good to deal with.

Toynut,

Those price incentives are not always going to be worth while. generally they are offered when the sticker prices are higher and vehicles are not on sale to bring up sales. The end of the year is the time to buy a new car. Not now.

But an accountant will never recommend buying a new car, cause there is always someone who will buy it and sell it early taking all the lose for you. A year old car is far cheaper, even with financing . Even best to go cheaper to no financing. Buy a vehicle you can afford.

I too say go with a few year old Toyota. They hold there value nicely and will provide years of reliable service.

The corrola is the old standard. I would buy one of those.

The Toyota Matrix is a good choice economical urban vehicle. Its actually a Corolla wagon and the rear seats go down to a perfectly flat platform that you could sleep in there if you had to. Its very functional and seats 5 if necessary. VVT 1800 motor and there are lots of them around for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom