Attempting to Repair Destroyed Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

I will be attempting to repair the front bumper of my LX470 in the upcoming weeks (see attached pictures). My mom hit everything in sight and now it's my job to repair. I have watched a couple videos online on similar projects, have my bondo bumper, body, and glass filler (need to repair a small rust spot on a door and a multitude of other scratches and dings on the sides and back of the vehicle) along with a full range of sand paper, base/main/clear coats, and other small tools.

I have a few questions. First, would you guys recommend me to remove the entire bumper and repaint the whole thing? Or just tape and section off the parts I need to repair. Second,to confirm, I am supposed to be using the cladding color on the bumper (UCA76) and not the main color (1C3), correct? My eyes are playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the help! Hope to keep you guys updated.

IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG

Long story short I ran out of the base color since I decided to repaint the entire bumper. Clear coated it and am going to put it back on anyways, will order more paint and redo that layer when it gets in.

Quick question before I post the final results. Do I need to buy more clips/fasteners to hold the front bumper in? My friend kind of just ripped the bumper off (because I couldn't figure out how to do this: front grill/bumper filler removal?) and the 19-year-old fasteners all snapped. Do I need to buy new ones? If yes, what kind of fastener are they?

Thanks for the help.

Long story short I ran out of the base color since I decided to repaint the entire bumper. Clear coated it and am going to put it back on anyways, will order more paint and redo that layer when it gets in.

Quick question before I post the final results. Do I need to buy more clips/fasteners to hold the front bumper in? My friend kind of just ripped the bumper off (because I couldn't figure out how to do this: front grill/bumper filler removal?) and the 19-year-old fasteners all snapped. Do I need to buy new ones? If yes, what kind of fastener are they?

Thanks for the help.

I'd suggest buying new clips, for sure. You can look them up on parts diagrams. I know Partsouq.com will show the diagram and give a part number. You may consider just buying a package of Toyota-style plastic fasteners. I think I bought a ~100 pc pack of various types, all OEM style, for like $20. They come in handy because those clips are always breaking for whatever reason.

In the future, you might consider hitting up the local sections. I gave away a nearly perfect front bumper when I put my ARB on. Could have saved a lot of elbow grease and time. Good on you for taking care of mama, though. I used to take care of all the detail work on my mom's cars as a kid.

I'd suggest buying new clips, for sure. You can look them up on parts diagrams. I know Partsouq.com will show the diagram and give a part number. You may consider just buying a package of Toyota-style plastic fasteners. I think I bought a ~100 pc pack of various types, all OEM style, for like $20. They come in handy because those clips are always breaking for whatever reason.

In the future, you might consider hitting up the local sections. I gave away a nearly perfect front bumper when I put my ARB on. Could have saved a lot of elbow grease and time. Good on you for taking care of mama, though. I used to take care of all the detail work on my mom's cars as a kid.

Just placed an order for the clips, I found them through that link. Thanks for your response and kind words!

Never checked it out before but I will definitely look into the local sections in the future! Thanks again

Looks better than before at least. I ran out of the paint so I'm gonna have to go back and redo it later. The UCA76 color that's supposed to be the cladding color doesn't match the old color though, and looks funny. Is it the orange peel? Or should I try a different UCA76 paint from a different brand?

62086933734__E29DD5D5-54E2-4980-89C0-945FB31FC76E.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom