Attempted Theft -> Steering Lock and Ignition Key Barrel Smashed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So some creep attempted to steal my cruiser and the steering lock and ignition barrel are broken. The car is immobilised. :mad:

1. First thing is to get the car running. I don't seem to be able to turn the key to ACC to remove the barrel so I'm considering hacksawing through the steering lock rod so I can remove the key barrel and housing and then unscrew the ignition switch. Any other bright ideas before I get medieval on the car ? Maybe the lock can be drilled or forced into ACC?

2. I'm going to need to get a new steering lock assembly and ignition key barrel. Does anybody have the part numbers? (I'm in Australia, not sure if there's different RHD and LHD versions)

3. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Melbourne, Australia (I'm northside)? I'm new to Landcruisers and it's looking tricky to repair myself, although doable.

Cheers

20210807_091623.jpg

Last edited:
Though you got your answer on FB already......

I'm guessing the best way to approach it is to take out the entire steering column first.

Allright, I managed to unscrew the ignition switch so I can start and drive the car now. No cutting was required, just some rather undignified amateur gymnastics in the drivers footwell. Should be ok from here as I can get it home to my workshop and order and install the replacement parts I need.

Last edited:
Looks like you are getting it taken care of bit by bit. Glad it wasn't stolen.

Thought you guys were locked down tighter than preachers daughter.

Guess it's not a crime fighting effort either.

Experienced the same thing a half a month ago. Half a world apart.
The horsemen ride my friend. Stay strong.

Added a 2 sirens to POs remote start system. 1 is inside the truck.
I put it close to the drivers head and carry ear plugs in a key chain case for times of doubt.

I have an 1991 FJ80 that was also victim to attempted theft. Ignition key cylinder was drilled and hacked up. Vehicle has now runs and drives, and has "new" to me ignition key cylinder, but...

When driving, the steering wheel will randomly "catch" when turning right. And there is an audible sound when it does engage. I assume this is the steering wheel lock attempting to activate to prevent the steering wheel from turning. Is it possible to damage / access steering wheel lock from key cylinder? or is it likely the new key cylinder and key combo is sloppy?

I have an 1991 FJ80 that was also victim to attempted theft. Ignition key cylinder was drilled and hacked up. Vehicle has now runs and drives, and has "new" to me ignition key cylinder, but...

When driving, the steering wheel will randomly "catch" when turning right. And there is an audible sound when it does engage. I assume this is the steering wheel lock attempting to activate to prevent the steering wheel from turning. Is it possible to damage / access steering wheel lock from key cylinder? or is it likely the new key cylinder and key combo is sloppy?
There is a magnetic solenoid in there that can be replaced that engages the steering wheel lock (I believe), might be time for a new one.

Find other security threads here:

Just ordered the following parts. Numbers quoted for posterity

45280-35290 Bracket Assy, Steering Column, Upper
69057-60030 Ignition Lock Cylinder
45897-12020 Column Assembly Lock Bolt
Thank you for posting these numbers and information!

This allowed me to FIND the parts I need for my USA version 96 FZJ80 when the cylinder piece inside there broke unannounced.

See that thread here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom