Attempted parabolic install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
Well I tried fitting the TIC kit onto a 1977 FJ45, only problem front bushings are the smaller older style while the kit I recieved was the new 40 series style with larger bushings and bolts.

Thinking on turning the bushings down to fit the frame hangers?

Otherwise not sure what to do???

Rob

do some measuring and order up a set of bushings that will fit what you need...

sor has a chart as do other vendors where you can order by dimension.

i ordered sor bushings for the fronts and turned the rear hanger side down.

you'll also have to egg the crap out of the center pin hole on the fronts.

nuclearlemon said:
i ordered sor bushings for the fronts and turned the rear hanger side down.

you'll also have to egg the crap out of the center pin hole on the fronts.

Not quite following the egg thing?

You can actually find bushings to fit the small diameter bolts and much large diameter spring holes???

Well that would be a great fix, thanks.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
...You can actually find bushings to fit the small diameter bolts and much large diameter spring holes???...

What is the ID? OD? Flange thickness?

look for the thread or was it a Trails artical that Chef or Tornado Alley(sorry I get you 2 confused) did about this same install, he had a solution I think

Rear TIC 35mm O/D
18mm I/D
45mm long

Rear 45 30mm O/D
18mmI/D
40mm long

Front TIC Same as rear measurements

Front 45 25mm O/D
15mm I/D
40mm long
DSC00939.JPG
DSC00940.JPG
DSC00941.JPG

Radd Cruisers said:
Not quite following the egg thing?

You can actually find bushings to fit the small diameter bolts and much large diameter spring holes???

Well that would be a great fix, thanks.

Rob
the center pin nut is enormous and won't fit your spring plate...you need to drill out the center pin hole in the spring plate.

cruiseroutfit said:
What is the ID? OD? Flange thickness?
iirc, i used specter's 289-40x which measures 15mmx1 3/8x .125

nuclearlemon said:
iirc, i used specter's 289-40x which measures 15mmx1 3/8x .125

Thanks

I will order

Front spring side 8X289-40X
Front frame side 4X289-40s

Rear spring eye 8X289-44-s
Rear frame eye 4X 289-46A-s

Most every bushing will fit short of the rear spring fixed pin hanger, flange will have to be machined down from .265 to 1.25.

I had that somewhere. sorry been a long while..
I used FJ40 OD on fixed shackel hanger, I ordered greasable 5/8 bolts from SOR, used 5/8 ID and FJ60 od with minimum flange thickness on front spring bushing on shackle side.
Fixed pin side used FJ40 fixed pin ID and FJ60 od and minimum thickness flange..
I think that was the only way to make it a bolt on thing.. I can try to find my part #'s if you need. I know I wasn't able to drink a beer and figure it out when I did cause it was a lot like math!

Pimp.. That's funny.. Cause most people that wheel with us think we're connected somehow.. We actually live bout an hour and half from each other..

tornadoalleycruiser said:
I had that somewhere. sorry been a long while..
I used FJ40 OD on fixed shackel hanger, I ordered greasable 5/8 bolts from SOR, used 5/8 ID and FJ60 od with minimum flange thickness on front spring bushing on shackle side.
Fixed pin side used FJ40 fixed pin ID and FJ60 od and minimum thickness flange..
I think that was the only way to make it a bolt on thing.. I can try to find my part #'s if you need. I know I wasn't able to drink a beer and figure it out when I did cause it was a lot like math!

Pimp.. That's funny.. Cause most people that wheel with us think we're connected somehow.. We actually live bout an hour and half from each other..

I think I got evething I need, kept the factory shackles for stock appearance, this thing may never see wheeling either. He was looking for the best overall ride.

Not sure how you got the rear fixed pin bushings in as SOR does not sell one with a minimum .125 flange?

Thanks
Rob

Mmmm Rear.. Well we had to grind on the spring there.. Or I also used a belt sander to "machine" the bushing a touch as well.

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Mmmm Rear.. Well we had to grind on the spring there.. Or I also used a belt sander to "machine" the bushing a touch as well.

LOL...... Thats what I did the first time, belt sander works better than the lathe as the bushing popping out of the chuck.

The new spring eyes measure 2.75, I see in the TT article you mentioned 3 inch at the eyes. Maybe they changed them to work with the toyota shackles and frame eye widths?

Rob

I installed some TIC springs (with KONI shocks) on a 1979 BJ40. The springs have the larger holes and my frame the smaller ones.

That guy from TIC lives in the netherlands like me and came looking in my garage and had new bushings constructed that fitts the big holes of the springs and the small holes of the frame. worked out nice. He told me he was going to sell the bushings.

I hope it will ride fine, I'm still working on the restoration. I bought the whole package of TIC (springs, shocks, U-bolts, shackels and pins). It is a little expensive and I had three problems; the story with the bushings, no pins were available by TIC and the rear springs are so arched that the shackel flipped inside to the frame (up till today I have to force it in the right position).

He Tornedoalleycruiser ... weren't you supposed to write an article or something as a review of the TIC kit? thought I read this at the TIC site

The article is in January/February 2005 TT. The supplier was going to include bushings or some fix for the problem, but guess not?

i did the turning thing on a pair of bushings for my tacoma and it worked well. go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom