ATRAC not working?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So Ill admit I am a crawler guy who sees ATRAC as some kind of hocus pocus. I understand the design and yes it makes sense but I will be throwing in ARB's ASAP (year or so). My issue right now is this:

To test the system i put it in 4wheel Low and back up on a hill with one side rear to cross weight the truck (lighten opposing front/rear wheels) so i could create some tire slip. I gave a little gas and the two opposing unweighted wheels turns easily while the two weighted wheels were stationary. ATRAC never engaged, nothing happened it just sat there stuck on a two foot hill and i never felt any ABS action or any type of thing that would help my wheelspin. I was pretty bummed to say the least.

It is a 2000 LX, slee drop, OME, UCA's ... Wondering if the Fluid resovoir on the passenger side and pump is related to the AHC iirc. I unplugged the two plugs going to that, are they somehow related to the ATRAC? Thanks for any info, i searched but didnt find anything.

From what i undertand about ATRAC in the FAQ thread it doesnt matter, but for the record the CDL was engaged, IIRC it automatically engages in 4wlo...

Im about to go test my ABS with some quick braking to make sure its working ha

From what i undertand about ATRAC in the FAQ thread it doesnt matter, but for the record the CDL was engaged, IIRC it automatically engages in 4wlo...

Yep, thinking of something else.

???

For some reason, my CDL on a 2000 100 didn't lock automatically. Every time I wanted it to lock, I had to do it manually. Be sure to give that a try.

Also, make sure all of your "initial" dash lights are working ( what I mean is: turn the key to "on" to make sure all of your ABS, ATRAC, etc. notification lights are working). I suggest this, because I bought a truck about 6 months ago that was having trouble with ABS, VSC, TRAC, etc.........come to find that a previous owner had known about the problem with those systems and had concealed this problem by removing all of the warning lights........I was not happy!

Probably not that, but it's worth ruling out that condition.

2000 forward requires manual lock of cdl in low range. Very useful for running in low range unlocked and making tight turns.

Atrac works like a champ. Steady throttle and the hocus pocus kicks in. It really works. I usually hold steady at 1200 And you can not touch brakes or it disengages ASAP.

Reactions: elk
Now get it, so i need to depress the cdl lock, even though the cdl light is on?? strange brew... but ill try it!

My light does not come on until I press the cdl button.

Keep the RPMs under 2500.

Yes tried that I barely held enough throttle to spin the tires and held there... About 1200 then upped it a little but just was burning tire so I stopped. My atrac lights on the dash if I have them do not light up at startup... Fuses are good.

Where are you located and where is your lc from? Atrac was optional on some over seas land cruisers. There is s thread with a 2004 Jdm uzj100 without atrac.

When I turn my truck on, vsc trac lights up on the dash.

Picture in next post.

Last edited:
The lights do not stay on very long.

Last edited:
Where are you located and where is your lc from? Atrac was optional on some over seas land cruisers. There is s thread with a 2004 Jdm uzj100 without atrac.

When I turn my truck on, vsc trac lights up on the dash.

Picture in next post.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419861056.368413.jpg

I don't know if this is the right thread to post my Atrac question. After lots of reading and the great Atrac FAQ write up I thought I understood the Atrac system. Here's the issue: driving off road in the desert I always locked the center differential. But when trying to climb some rock faces tires would just spin - the Atrac never engaging. At start up all lights came on appropriately. I thought something was wrong with my Atrac.

Last weekend driving with the club I decided to try climbing a rock face without the center dif locked - and behold the Atrac began functiong and I climbed like a champ. So for some reason in my rig locking the center differential (that most write ups say to do at least here on Mud though I did read a post elsewhere that said engaging the center dif lock disables Atrac) disables the Atrac. Am I the only one with this issue? Love Atrac would just now drive off road without locking the center dif.

IIRC when i was going up a steep hill 35deg incline with CDL engaged. My A-track light did engage from time to time. Obviously i was at the 1500-2700 rpm range. So A-track should engage both with CDL and without CDL.

ATRAC, though it functions with the center diff either on or off, will be noticeably less effective with the center diff lock off. If you think about it, with the center diff lock off, if one tire begins to slip, the power is understandably going to be sent somewhere else. With it locked, the ATRAC is going to be able to more precisely apportion the power to the wheel that needs it.

When I purchased my first truck with ATRAC, I didn't like it, because I felt it wasn't very effective. The system would function, but I couldn't get it to go anywhere difficult.......that was before I realized the center diff should be locked. Now, with the center diff locked, I can't tell much of a difference at all between it and the manual lockers on my 80.

No, if your ATRAC is not engaging with your center diff locked, something is wrong with the system, because ATRAC should work BEST with the center diff on. You might want to see if you've got some sort of electrical issue that's causing the ATRAC to disable when you push the center diff switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom