Atrac not working FIXED(video inside) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No idea but would like to know.

In my case (2004 Land Cruiser), the green ATRAC light came on for a second.

How would you or the vehicle distinguish between VSC and ATRAC in that scenario? If the VSC is active and a wheel or several are slipping, isn't it VSC's job to activate? I might be missing something.
Idk the engineering behind any of this but......

VSC will engage when the vehicle is sliding and the yaw sensor detects some abnormal motion , most likely on icy or wet roads while beginning to slide sideways . Where atrac kick in will be relating to wheel speed/spin not vehicle angle.

With VSC You'll hear a beeping and see the yellow flashing icons on the dash. You can also really feel it grab individual brakes to straighten the truck back out. It's pretty aggressive at times. For example if you go into a left turn and start to slide out it will grab the front right brake and straighten you back out .

Atrac kicks in with a green flash on the dash and you can feel and sort of hear a springy noise in the pedals. No audible beep with atrac .

VSC disengages atrac so like if your rallying hard into a icy corner the atrac may kick on but once it senses it's sliding sideways the vsc kicks in and takes over. If your aiming straight up an icy hill just hammering down atrac will be the only thing at place ,VSC wouldn't kick on in this scenario

This is why I don't lock up the center diff when hard pack icy road driving , I want the vsc to do it's job when I start to slide.

Last edited:
Idk the engineering behind any of this but......

VSC will engage when the vehicle is sliding and the yaw sensor detects some abnormal motion , most likely on icy or wet roads while beginning to slide sideways . Where atrac kick in will be relating to wheel speed/spin not vehicle angle.

With VSC You'll hear a beeping and see the yellow flashing icons on the dash. You can also really feel it grab individual brakes to straighten the truck back out. It's pretty aggressive at times. For example if you go into a left turn and start to slide out it will grab the front right brake and straighten you back out .

Atrac kicks in with a green flash on the dash and you can feel and sort of hear a springy noise in the pedals. No audible beep with atrac .

VSC disengages atrac so like if your rallying hard into a icy corner the atrac may kick on but once it senses it's sliding sideways the vsc kicks in and takes over. If your aiming straight up an icy hill just hammering down atrac will be the only thing at place ,VSC wouldn't kick on in this scenario

This is why I don't lock up the center diff when hard pack icy road driving , I want the vsc to do it's job when I start to slide.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Even after driving my LC for almost 8 years (and reading the manual) I still wasn’t exactly sure what was happening when those systems engaged.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Even after driving my LC for almost 8 years (and reading the manual) I still wasn’t exactly sure what was happening when those systems engaged.
I need to do more research but basically my center diff doesn’t lock, no Atrac in 4H, no dash lights for Atrac, vcs when starting the truck or otherwise.

I think I’m going to try and repair this over the bushings right now.

Merry Christmas Thanks Guys

Last night was heavy snow, high moisture content, right at freezing. About as slippery as snow gets. I remembered this post and shot a quick vid of how ATRAC should be functioning. 2004 LX 470. Moderate throttle from a stop and ATRAC intervenes promptly in 4Hi.

Last night was heavy snow, high moisture content, right at freezing. About as slippery as snow gets. I remembered this post and shot a quick vid of how ATRAC should be functioning. 2004 LX 470. Moderate throttle from a stop and ATRAC intervenes promptly in 4Hi.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I want mine to do that haha - looks great

fair enough, thanks for posting and clearing that up.

You might be low on ATRAC fluid...

Fixed: Solution is to make sure the dash is plugged in properly. When I bought the truck it was like this. A-Trac now works perfectly. Oil pressure gauges reads normal, other lights on the dash are working also. I only knew it was the dash because one night it started to flicker, like it had a bad connection. Cheers!

Glad it’s working, that’s great.

Well, you could just trade your 100 in for an 80, and be done with all this electronic horse****...

New ATRAC issue

The dash is plugged in properly and the ATRAC is working.

The issue is that when taking off from a stop sign the ATRAC will kick in and put the vehicle to a dead stop.

I almost got rear ended since I'm assuming the brake lights don't kick on.

Wheel speed sensor? Any other ideas?

I would guess wheel speed sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom