ATF Soft Line Failure - Real or Imaginary? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,
I'm thinking about replacing my soft ATF lines, though the job looks like kind of a PITA. Have you, or anyone you know, had an ATF soft line develop a leak or burst? I'm trying to figure out if I have Mud OCD on this one, or if I should really do this as PM.
Thanks.

Hey All,
I'm thinking about replacing my soft ATF lines, though the job looks like kind of a PITA. Have you, or anyone you know, had an ATF soft line develop a leak or burst? I'm trying to figure out if I have Mud OCD on this one, or if I should really do this as PM.
Thanks.
You should really do this. When I bought my truck in 2012, every hose on it leaked or weeped. The transmission hoses were so soft I didn't dare squeezes them, as they felt like an ice cream sandwich left on the counter too long.

Do them before they are a problem. I've run mine now another 110K miles with no issues. BTW that was at 220K miles on them. My truck currently has 332K on it.

So no one has ever had a line fail?

Define "fail"...... A weeping hose to me is a fail.

I hear you, and I appreciate your reply. And I agree that weeping is a fail. I'm just trying to bump the thread and see if I can get some more replies.
Thanks for your input.

FWIW I'm still running most of the original soft ATF lines on my 96 FZJ80 with 375,000 miles, only replaced the long cooler line that runs from the ATF cooler pipes over to the right side of the lower radiator about 15 years ago due to damage when it got too close to the harmonic balancer.

Only leak I've seen is when I apparently bumped one of the hose clamps
on a soft line near the starter (while working on the starter). To fix the seep
I just repositioned the clamp. That was 10+ years ago, still dry.

Having said that, if I ever had to remove any of those lines I would replace them with new rubber.

Last edited:
I've had a soft line break and dump all my trans fluid on the highway. I honestly think I might have hit something on the road that bounced up and hit the line which was original and weak.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think draining the pan and replacing the lines sounds like a good idea.

I've had a soft line break and dump all my trans fluid on the highway. I honestly think I might have hit something on the road that bounced up and hit the line which was original and weak.

Same here but on my dads 80 and I was following him, that's probably the only reason his transmission was saved because I was there to see it spraying onto the road

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom