ATF on top of block? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zcruiser

Needs monitoring
Threads
Snooping around under the hood on my recently purchased FJ62, and noticed what appears to be ATF on top of the block, on the driver's side of the valve cover, directly under the TPS:

ATF_001.JPG

Is this really tranny fluid?
ATF_002.JPG

Close-up:
ATF_003.JPG

There is NONE dripping under the vehicle, and ATF level is good. The liquid doesn't smoke when it gets hot, can't figure out where it could have come from. Any ideas?

It sure looks like ATF...but could come from the Powersteering, which uses ATF. I don't remember however where the PS is on a 62. They are notorious for leaking after 150,000 miles and 15+ years.

Is it oily like ATF? What's in the radiator....red coolant? There is a small coolant line that runs right there...could have a small leak and it's mixing with motor oil seepage from your valve cover.
Pretty bizarre if it's ATF.

Yeah, it's def oily. It's pretty clear, so doesn't look like a mixture of any type. The coolant in the rad is orange, not red. And my PS fluid is "gold", not red, so I don't think it's PS.

I'm wondering if PO or mech spilled AT fluid during a refill, and didn't get it all cleaned up...

i think spilling when filling the p/s pump is the only way the pump would get fluid up there. :confused:

if its new to you 62...........I would change the oil........because there is no reason for ATF to be on that side of the block.......the PO might have added ATF to the oil......for some reason(not good reason)

Already changed the oil, came out black, so nothing out of the ordinary there.... And, since my PS fluid is gold-colored (like regular oil) and not red, I don't think that's where it came from.

I'm just going to clean it up, and then watch to make sure it doesn't come back....

So I put PS fluid in my PS unit. Should I drain and fill with atf? Will it help my some time on sometime off ps problem. Not trying to hijack your thread but it makes me feel good deep inside!

don't feel bad.......your not the only one ;) and it prolly doing no damage, i know "someone" who used PS fluid for 8 years in his pump...with no issues ;)

wingysataday said:
So I put PS fluid in my PS unit. Should I drain and fill with atf? Will it help my some time on sometime off ps problem. Not trying to hijack your thread but it makes me feel good deep inside!

Huh. So does my "gold" fluid in my PS tank indicate PS fluid and not ATF?

zcruiser said:
Huh. So does my "gold" fluid in my PS tank indicate PS fluid and not ATF?

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure the Toyota OEM PS fluid, which is ATF, is gold in color. What it might mean is that yours has never been changed - your fluid might be factory original.

wingysataday said:
many people run atf just because it's cheaper than p/s fluid. me, i run lucas power steering stop leak.

mpetersrx7 said:
Could be MMO that was added to your oil. Jsut a thought.

Distinct possibility. It's gone now! Time to clean up from PO....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom