ATF drip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen,
OK, I did a search on leaking transmission, nothing I could use. I recently have been dripping ATF from the junction of the trans/engine. The drip spot is about the size of a baseball. Nothing major, but it just started in the last week or so. My question, is this likely just a gasket, and what amount of labor invloved to swap it out............in my driveway?

TIA
Chris

94 FZJ 137K 2.5 OME Locked Pin 7 285's

The trans to engine may be engine oil, are you sure it is ATF? If a hose or hard pipe has not been rub through the only other two possiabliltes is the Vent is leaking some thing or the input seal where the Torque converter is installed into the tranny. More common seal leak it the end of the tranny where it mates to the transfer case. There is a sealed bearing that can go over time that need to be replaced if you have a leak at the weep hole. The most common leaks at the area you described is engine oil and coolant. If you have ATF in this area you have something unusual to me. good luck robbie

Thanks for the info Robbie. Yeah, the fluid is red, and I also have oil (from the pan arch I believe) down there. I will get a photo of it, and post. This JUST started as AFAIK. I will check the ATF level when hot, but I doubt the level would be affected without a major leak. I assumed it was a gasket given the location, but I really have not done rigorous inspection. I am not concerned about a slow leak, I just don't want to have a major problem brewing that I could rectify before it cost more $$$$$.
Thanks again,
Chris

The toyota red coolant looks a little bit like ATF, but does not have the same feel or smell. Have you look at it on your fingers yet? or just the puddle on the ground? Have a closer look at the fluid. Maybe just coolant from a hose. later robbie

Rick, the PHH looks good (previous owner must have replaced). We had some rain here yesterday, so I will have to start looking for source again (may very well be coolant and not ATF). I did however have a wierd thing happen on the way to work this morning. I put on the defroster and slowly pushed the temp slider to the HOT side. Vehicle was @ normal operating temp, and the air was barely warm. Cycled the temp slider form HOT to COLD, back to HOT, and now I have hot air (the slder was as far over as it could get in both instances of being on HOT). Makes me a little nervous as I have not had that happen before. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom