At what point do you need a longer/adjustable panhard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How high of a lift can you install before you have to adjust your panhard length? What about other control arms? I searched and didn't come up with anything in the FAQ or regular posts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
How high of a lift can you install before you have to adjust your panhard length? What about other control arms? I searched and didn't come up with anything in the FAQ or regular posts.

Thanks!

Hi CT guy. While I did not take measurements. I did not have adjustable panhards with my 2.5" OME lift and the axle "seemed" fine.

However, when you go up to the FOR 4", Slee 4" or OME J springs I recommend going with either an adjustable panhard (my preferred method) or some drop brackets.

bottom line is, up to 2.5" lift - none needed
over 3" lift - i suggest a correction

What about other control arms?

The lower control arms locate the axle (front to back) and determine its path of movement. If you change the length of them without relocating their body mounts your wheel is going to be in the wrong place at full compression.

There are replacement front control arms on the market. Slee and Snake Racing for example. But they are offered to correct caster angle on larger lifts.

Rear upper control arms, like mentioned above above, 3" or more IMO

Last edited:
on my 4" Slee lift I ordered the rear adj. control arms but did not use them. i have no noticeable vibrations.

Noticeable vibs or not aside, have you measured the working angles of the u-joints on your driveshaft ?

Fred

nope, wouldn't even know where to start. is there a "with in spec" measurement?

Hi CT guy. While I did not take measurements. I did not have adjustable panhards with my 2.5" OME lift and the axle "seemed" fine.

However, when you go up to the FOR 4", Slee 4" or OME J springs I recommend going with either an adjustable panhard (my preferred method) or some drop brackets.

bottom line is, up to 2.5" lift - none needed
over 3" lift - i suggest a correction

I am not so sure, mine has the 2.5" OME lift and since the first day I did it (it had less than 2000 miles of use when I replaced the coils, so no front end wear) my cruiser didn't feel exactly the same at 50 mph and up, when turning left versus turning right.

If you analize it, in theory when you rise the vehicle even only 2.5", you are moving the axle slightly to one side and I guess you need to compensate this slight displacement by enlarging the Panhard.

At a slow speed may be you don't notice the axle shift in the body movement but at higher speed IMHO I feel it.

I have a 4" lift and adjustable panhards both in front and rear. If I didn't have the adjustable panhards, the body of my 80 would be off to one side rather than the center. I believe the panhards only center the body. If you get adjustable panhards, make sure they are lockable.

Drop brackets are the 0 banana's way of fixing the caster. They work, but under some conditions ( like going into a 2 or 3 foot deep hole with steep sides ) can touch ground. So make sure they are robust with excess capacity for abuse. I like my drop brackets because I can bolt them on or off as the need arises.

Kalawang

I have a 4" lift and adjustable panhards both in front and rear. If I didn't have the adjustable panhards, the body of my 80 would be off to one side rather than the center. I believe the panhards only center the body. If you get adjustable panhards, make sure they are lockable.

Kalawang

As I understand Panhards are required on must of, if not all, coil equiped vehicles to keep the boxed frame centered over the axles unlike the springs.

Last edited:
<SNIP>
I believe the panhards only center the body.

Kalawang

You believe wrongly ;)
Panhards (trackbars) have nothing to do with the body.

They locate the axles side to side.

and, YES, you most certainly need them.
Take one off and see how far you can drive without it.
Have someone video it though as it would make a great youtube video ;)

:)
Fred

Fred

Fred: I guess the tires will keep the axle to the road but the frame is the one who will swing side to side like a dancer :)

Thanks!

I have the F.O.R. kit and the inside of the PS coil rubs a little on the bumpstop assembly. I can only imagine that is due to the front axle shifting to the driver side after lifting over 3". The rubbing is even more pronounced when suspension is flexed all the way.

Looks like I will be in the market for some adjustable panhards this week! :clap:

You believe wrongly ;)
Panhards (trackbars) have nothing to do with the body.

and, YES, you most certainly need them.
Take one off and see how far you can drive without it.
Have someone video it though as it would make a great youtube video ;)

:)
Fred

Trackbars are very different from the panhards and serve a very different function.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom