1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At what point do I buy the motorcycle???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Outback, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Outback

Outback

Ugh, $2.50/gal for 87 oct. gas here in OKC. It's killing me!!

With us opening 2 businesses within the next 2 months I'm all over the place between locations. Usually with no cargo or just check books :rolleyes:

I have said that if gas prices reach $3.00/gal for 87 oct. I'm buying a motorcycle.

Would you? At what price per gallon??

Here's what I have in mind... Kawasaki KLR 650: YES!! they brought back Kawasaki green this year!!

[​IMG]

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

Nice toy, errr, bike.. :D

I think a motorcycle would be fun, but are you sure it would actually be cheaper? Most motorcycles I've seen don't get all that great of gas mileage, maybe 30-40, but my wife's Echo gets about 46mpg all the time, even though motorcycles are alot smaller, I don't think they run near as efficiently as the econo cars do. Ofcourse the motorcycle would be more fun (wheelieing around people, giving someone the finger then take off in the brush :D ), but not sure MPG-wise it makes sense.

My buddy had a VTR1000 (2 cyl crotch-rocket), it was a great bike, lots of power but even driving it sanely (i.e. boring) I don't think it ever got over 30mpg, but that is a bigger engine than the KLR...

3. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

Bicycles are cheaper and (as long as your running around town) just as fast.

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

:confused:

Not sure what Outback's "around town" is, but I know if it was around Denver, that would routinely mean trips of 20-30 miles each way which would still be 'in town'...

Bicycles are great, but they aren't motorcycles...

:D

5. patride71

patride71

trade in the taco for a hybrid or a diesel....

6. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I'm assuming you probably don't have public transportation where you are.

Might be something to check out in the meantime.

7. Outback

Outback

From a review I read it gets about 38 mpg. That's 2.23 times the gas mileage of my Taco that gets all the miles now! I think it's worth it.

And don't talk so loud... Lee may hear you!! :D I've wanted one of these for a long time. Now I have a pretty good reason to get one. Don't let her hear you say that....

OJ:

Yes, a bicycle would work for stuff close, but the businesses are about 30 mins apart. And, if all goes well the next location will be twice as far as that. So motorized transport will definitely help for time's sake.

I am a cyclist as is my wife and I'd surely ride if I could and had the time. I'd get that Rans V-Rex recumbent out and go for it!!

Jody.

8. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

Yeah, that could get tiring, I can get across Boise in about 20 min. on a bike, 10 if I'm driving. I ride to work about 2-3 times a week. The kids are going to start riding their bikes to school this year, and the wife says she is going to ride her bike to work too. Not because of gas prices though, just because it doesn't make sense to get in the car for a one-mile drive.

9. Outback

Outback

Love the Taco and still need a truck bed on occasion to pick up soap and parts & such.

Still need an expedition vehicle for all those CO expeditions like the one I just came off of -- right Mark? The Taco is very well set up now-a-days for that.

Jody.

10. Outback

Outback

In Oklahoma??? Uh, no. No public transportation to speak of. At all. Whatsoever.

11. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

Hmmm... good point. Allright, get the Green Machine and just wheelie all the way.

12. Jman

Jman

For you, get it now. Heck, you're in OK--live fast, die young. :flipoff2:

13. Koffer

Koffer

I would love to get a bike again but around here I like alot of steel around me since everyone drives but no one sees :doh:
    heres the pixs of some tool car who didnt see my E350 Ford van lift truck in broad daylight while I was making a left :mad:

14. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

If you had been with me last night your vote might be closer to $10.00/gal. Coming home late from work I witnessed a head on colission of a motorcylce vs. full size van. By the time I got my truck stopped and ran to the riders side (in the middle of the intersection) the blood was almost to the gutter.

Needless to say I didn't sleep well last night.

15. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Doesn't matter how much fuel costs. You wasted all this time without one already. It makes life better, that's what counts. Go get it already.

16. Rugster

Rugster

17. Jman

Jman

Whoa, that dude needs a "Bro" and should lose the sandals. . . . .

18. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

No more street bikes for me. Bummer too, I used to love riding my vfr 750. On my first bike, I was hit by a car in an intersection. That sucked, I walked away but got banged up pretty good. A year later I bought my vfr, and put about 5k on it each summer for 3 years. Lots of close calls, then finally got run into a ditch by an elderly man driving on the wrong side of the road. He didn't even stop. Luckily pretty much unhurt, but that did it for me. Sold the bike a couple weeks later.

19. BNC

BNC

Already got one ;) I'm picking up the new bike on Firday, old one was stolen in Dec :mad:

I've really mised getting 50mpg while actually enjoying my commute.

The KLR should be able to get around 60mpg, or at least in the 50's, for commuting.

20. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I just quit looking at the pump.....Just fill it up and Im gone til the next time