AT Fluid Change Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
60K, time to change AT Fluid. Owner’s manual gives 2 Qts capacity. FSM says “drain old fluid, put in two quarts; then add additional fluid as needed to bring level up to ‘Cold’ marks on dip stick.” Assuming 2 quarts I purchased 3 quarts of Toyota AFT Type T-IV.

Drained the transmission, much more than 2 quarts. Put in 2 quarts of new fluid. With engine idling, and cold, fluid much too low. Continued adding fluid. (Had to buy more) After almost 3 1/2 quarts (total) I finally got the level proper, both hot and cold. Transmission seems to work fine, smooth and proper shifting.

My question: Does UZJ100 transmission really need 3 1/2 quarts of fluid? The FSM cautions not to overfill, but the level on the dip stick tells me it is proper.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I just replaced the ATF on a 96 4runner. FSM said drain and fill will only take 1.7qt. but I ended up putting 4.8qt in to get it up to level.

Different manufacturer have different ways to check for proper ATF level. Some recommend checking ATF fluid level with engine on and at normal operating temp (Toyota) while other recommend engine at normal operating temp, shut off for 2mins then check for level (honda). I don't know if the procedures are model specific.

There is about 17qts of fluid in the transmission so you have changed out around 20% of the fluid (the amount just sitting in the pan ). This should probably be called a fluid "refresh" rather than a change (the new fluid refreshs the old with additives that may have been used up).

Thats why most shops are doing transmission "flushes" or "exchanges" using power equipment that forces the old fluid out and pumps new fluid in.

This thread from the 80s section has some good info ....

Transmission Fluid Exchange (Snow Cruiser, July 2004)

The FSM is weak on routine maintnence so I would trust the dipstick in the truck for the proper level. We could use some vehicle data too to help. Year,milage and mods can go in your sigline.

Last edited:
It's a 98, factory rear differental lock. Other wise no mods.

I would add the info to my sigline if I could find how to do that.

Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom