AT/Brake/Volt light flickering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1992 FJ80, untouched motor here. On the way home tonight the AT oil, e-Brake, and volt light flickered under deceleration. it looked like the volt meter may have been a little lower than typical, but I have no had any charging issues since I bought this rig about a year ago...
A search of the forum came up with all sorts of stuff. I've got a lot of tools, but not a lot of electrical knowledge. I am hoping to leave in a week and a day for the grand canyon, and my 9yo daughter really wants to go in the Land Cruiser...

Any help would be muy appreciated!

Dash Christmas lights are telling you there's a problem with the charging system. Most likely the alternator is past due for replacement. Go with an OEM rebuilt unit or you'll be doing it gain in short order.

Some times is the simple things like corroded battery connections or a loose connections, it doesn't take much to impead 12 volts.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a vendor for a rebuilt oem alternator? I'm not a fan of AutoZone ANYTHING.

Thanks!! Question, looking online I see two alternators; an 80 and a 90 amp. My brain says the more the better, but am I wrong here?

1991 3FE gets the 80 amp with an external fan.
Most 1992 get the 90 amp with an internal fan.
The 90 amp unit can be rebuilt/upgraded for more output. The 80 amp unit can't. The 90 can be made to fit where an 80 lived, but is not a direct bolt on.

Thanks, guys! Any pointers on how to differentially diagnose charging problems? I'd love to learn more from your knowledgeable minds and see if I even need a new alternator.

Really? I've noticed zero differences under the hood between my 91 and my 92, except maybe the heater valve.
Offhand I don't remember what month they started with the 90 amp alternator, but a lot of 92s have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom