Astro steering - shaft question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
First off - for those doing astro steering on an FJ40, I have a friend that machines the brackets to mount the box to the frame. One hole drilled. He machines them in a CNC machine and is a very clean/perfect install. 60.00

Now, for my question;

When I finish mounting the box - I have been readin on how to create a steering shaft. I know a few companies can make them - but was curious as to what you guys thought first.

I believe the astro box is 36 spline. However, i'd have to check on the diameter.

I heard that a YJ steering shaft will work, but I went to a local 4wd shop and the yj shaft is only 30 spline, and is a 1" DD connection up top.

The Toyota steering rod coming out of the firewall is about 3/4" OD. They do have a separate DD setup for that size (just cut off the yota shaft, slide the fitting over it and mig it. BTW, that jeep shaft was 280.00!

So, I am not sure which direction to go, cutom means pricey. I was ramping up to spend about 2 bills - but was curious what you guys have done successfully/cleanly.

thanks!

ragman

I just noticed all the pics on my site were gone.

I used a mini truck column so it was a little different. I also used the Astro u-joint, which is very small. I used my lathe to turn down a chunk of 1" bar stock. drilled and bolted it and welded on the astro side. On the Toyota side I ground two flats for the double D.
steeringshaft.jpg

Find the u -joint that fits the astro box, not sure what the box is but 36 spline are common borgeson items.Jegs, Summit and most speed shops will have this. The other side of the joint will be .75, and if your current shaft reaches, just trim it and weld the joint to the column side. If not you can use .75 solid rod or .95 tubing to make an extension, sleeve it and weld to existing column shaft.

You will need a support at the firewall if you haven't addressed this yet. A simple bushing or a bearing is what most use. Grainger has em.

The stock shaft is a touch latger than .75, so you will have to sand/file/turn it down to fit the joint.

I did this conversion for a friend on his '76 FJ40 trail rig. Used the Astro shaft and joints. I drilled a 3/4" hole in a piece of 1" round bar. Welded that to the stock Toyota steering column (after cutting off the rag joint flange and installing a pillow block). Then I cut a couple flats into the 1" bar with a grinder to fit inside the column end Astro joint. Then cut and welded in a piece of pipe that connected the halves of the Astro shaft back together. Sorry, no pictures though.

Space Ghost is right that the Toyota steering shaft is slightly larger than 3/4". I found that polishing the rust and crud off the shaft with a scotchbrite pad in a 2" die grinder worked great in bringing the size down to fitting the bearing.

Nick

dmaddox said:
First off - for those doing astro steering on an FJ40, I have a friend that machines the brackets to mount the box to the frame. One hole drilled. He machines them in a CNC machine and is a very clean/perfect install. 60.00

i know this thread is old - but do you have the name or website of the guy who makes these brackets?

I would PM dmaddox about it...

He was out here not too long ago, posting up pictures of his ride all done up in the chat section...

When I was compiling the PS FAQ, I did not remember seeing a post from him about this...

:beer:

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom