Assistance with Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 1981 FJ43, after it was delivered I drove it for a day and spotted a small oil or fluid spot on the garage floor. Please see the attached images, can anyone give me suggestions before I head over to a mechanic. Thanks in advance, also, I’m not a wrench turner and I’m in temporary housing so I have no tools or space to try any fixes, I just want to be informed before I take it to a mechanic I was referred to for classic landcruisers.

A1A58204-73B8-4E6E-A6E3-E67B20E07D52.jpeg

F47A9E30-AB46-4E1A-B036-C0DD6A7368C8.jpeg

looks like rear output shaft seal is leaking, you could go cheap and quick and just change the seal or it could be a full transfer rebuild with new seals and bearings

looking at the driveshaft bolts, they don't look stock and may not be correct.
assuming this is a central American rig, I would have someone with cruiser experience a once over because there maybe some hidden issues.

Just looking at the pics..... I would get some cleaner, something along lines of a degreaser at parts store. Spray off the area then goto car wash and hose off.

Then when dry, I would clean fully.
Drive for a bit and see where the drip comes from so you can better diagnose

Might be an optical illusion, and I don't have a split case, but maybe tighten this(?):
F47A9E30-AB46-4E1A-B036-C0DD6A7368C8.jpeg

Might not even be metric. Hard to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom