Assateague Island Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be staying near the Maryland shore next weekend for work. I've heard there are trails somewhere nearby or on the Island. I'll be solo and was just looking for some very mild trails.

Any suggestions or reviews would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think it's just a matter of driving into assateague park and checking with the ranger station for a permit. Then you can drive up and down the beach, I think maybe on just the bay side.

You might want to call the ranger station there and confirm. I don't know that there are any real "trails."

Have a good time, man! Don't run over any ponies.

Thanks. No ponies will be harmed as long as they help pull me out of the sand.

Only ORV trail I know of in Assateague Island is on the beach, Ocean side. You have to buy a year long permit which is about $75.00, can't remember the exact amount.

We (the family) go there few times in the Summer. This time of the year the weather is little cooler but driving on the beach can be fun, it's some what better than the fire roads.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.atlanticbreezes.com/assateagueislandoffroadpermits.htm

Unless you're going to go up there a few times I wouldn't spend the $75. I did this last year and it was a big let down. There is a section of the beach you can drive along, but it's definitely not a trail. It's mostly trucks with campers spending the night fishing. Definitely not worth the $75 imho, unless you've got moolah to burn. Plus, after we bought our permit, we were informed we could only drive half the length of the beach because a certain type of bird nests there for a few months each year.

One nice part about the "trail" is it's pretty secluded, so it's easy to find a spot and have your own private beach.