ASR kinetic rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bigger is (almost) always better. I would go with the heavier one. It's "good" for a 9500 LB vehicle. Until you get a moron trying to pull you out that likes to back up to your bumper and floor it until he gets to the end........ The amount of energy that a rope can handle is limited, but stupidity is not.

6500lbs vs. 9500lbs. Personally I'd go with the stronger rope. Besides the price increase I don't see a dis-advantage of having too strong a rope.

The breaking strength on either seems more than high enough to me. 33500 VS 52300. The Price Difference of $50 would make me strongly consider the smaller of the two

6500lbs vs. 9500lbs. Personally I'd go with the stronger rope. Besides the price increase I don't see a dis-advantage of having too strong a rope.
cost and weight

cost and weight

The bigger one in a 30' length is only 6lbs heavier. I did mention that the cost difference is a dis-advantage.

I'd want the stronger rope mainly in case I needed to help someone else. I know how much my truck weighs, but you never know who you may need to help and how much their rig weighs.

I would probably go with the 1" of the two unless you have a very heavy rig or regularly go with someone who does. With the heavier/thicker one the concern would be not getting much stretch and therefore not getting much benefit from the rope. There aren't too many people who wheel heavier rigs than these and if they do, they should have gear rated for their own truck (see below about wheeling with idiots) that you could use.

Also, searching seems to show a lot of people like the 7/8" size for an 80, so 1" would be fine.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-80-series-snatch-strap-ratings.770703/#post-8793185
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ke...pull-or-overland-and-why.763718/#post-8745981

Regarding recovery with a moron, if you are wheeling with idiots you have other problems. No amount of gear can save you from them. This is already a dangerous process, no sense making it even more so. For the ignorant or inexperienced, always make sure you walk through the recovery process with whoever is helping you and if you don't trust them to do it right find someone else. Really you should do this even if you are both experienced and know each other well, just to make sure there are no surprises.

If you read about snatch straps there are countless sources that say for a snatch strap to work correctly the minimum breaking strength of the strap needs to be between 2 to 3 times the GVWR of the vehicle or else it won't stretch enough.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/snatch_strap.php

The Importance of Correct Strap Selection

A snatch strap relies on its elasticity to get the stationary car out of is bog. Ideally it will stretch an extra 20% ontop of its initial length to give the correct elastic reaction and 'snatch' the vehicle free.

To get this ideal 20% stretch or very close to it, the snatch strap should be rated between 2 to 3 times the vehicles GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass). Most Compact SUV's have a GVM between 2,000kg to 2,4000kg, so a 6,000kg Snatch Strap is the most suitable size for use on those vehicles.

If the strap is rated higher than 2 to 3 times the GVM, it will not stretch enough. This would dramatically increase the shock forces that occur during the recovery which can cause damage and even catastrophic failure of the strap, other recovery gear, the vehicle and even the occupant. The other way around using a strap that isn't rated high enough can overload the strap (take it past its limits of elastic deformation) causing it to fail causing it to fling back at a vehicle at a deadly rate.

Neither of those you linked are good for your rig.

Talked with ASR they recommend the 1". I don't wheel hard, I doubt this would get more than a few uses in it's lifetime. In terms of an 80 series mine is a light rig. ARB without winch, supercharger, OME stock height and 285/75R16's. It would most likely be used to snatch it, my hilux or my neighbor's tacoma out of the snow. I'm leaning toward's their recommendation of the 1".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom