Asking for family member with 100....brakes pulsating still after new rotors up front (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brother in law has an 06Cruiser with 254k and is a very nice truck. He had new brakes and rotors on the front less than 9 months ago but says the pulsating from what would normally be warped rotors has not gone away.

Any recommendations here or similar issues for others? With new rotors this would normally go away. Could he be feeling this from the rear rotors if they were not replaced too?

thanks in advance!

Brother in law has an 06Cruiser with 254k and is a very nice truck. He had new brakes and rotors on the front less than 9 months ago but says the pulsating from what would normally be warped rotors has not gone away.

Any recommendations here or similar issues for others? With new rotors this would normally go away. Could he be feeling this from the rear rotors if they were not replaced too?

thanks in advance!
Who did the rotors? Did the pulsing change at all after the work was done or stay the same?

Yes, the rears can cause the same pulsing feeling. You will feel front warped rotors in both the floor and steering wheel, and rear rotors will primarily be felt in the seat and floor. Can be hard to distinguish at times.

Who did the rotors? Did the pulsing change at all after the work was done or stay the same?

Yes, the rears can cause the same pulsing feeling. You will feel front warped rotors in both the floor and steering wheel, and rear rotors will primarily be felt in the seat and floor. Can be hard to distinguish at times.
A local shop here did the rotors that also did mine. He told the shop who had to re-do one of the pins since the clip broke was not not put on right that he could still feel it but that it was better after he got it back the 2nd time. I will ask him where he is feeling it since I was not sure if the rear would be felt the same.

Hey thanks, I may try to drive it and see if I can tell. Some of us are just better at car stuff than others.
I had the same issue when i replaced my front rotors and it turned out to be the rear rotors.

The dealer put on Napa special rear rotors and pads according to the service records I got with my truck. They lasted 15k miles before they started shaking the entire truck under any braking situation.

Went back to Toyota rotors and pads as well as new pins, boots, and correct grease… problem solved.

Last edited:
A local shop here did the rotors that also did mine. He told the shop who had to re-do one of the pins since the clip broke was not not put on right that he could still feel it but that it was better after he got it back the 2nd time. I will ask him where he is feeling it since I was not sure if the rear would be felt the same.
The 100 uses captive rotors, when you remove the wheel and the caliper the rotor will not come off. It is through bolted to the hub from the backside.

Did they quote him for a bearing pack and grease, new c clips and did they mention they would be setting a specific pretension on the wheel bearings? My money is on no, as I often find even Toyota dealerships don't pretension correctly.

this can cause too loose of wheel bearings which will also make the front end feel loose and cause damage to the bearings, spindle, and also make the front end feel like it's floating.

Again, most likely the rear rotors are also warped but an improperly installed front rotor and incorrect wheel bearing procedure will open a while new can of more expensive worms.

thanks in advance!

My story -- might be helpful or might be irrelevant:

Brakes Pulsation at Slow Speeds!? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/brakes-pulsation-at-slow-speeds.1247188/#post-13773392

The 100 uses captive rotors, when you remove the wheel and the caliper the rotor will not come off. It is through bolted to the hub from the backside.

Did they quote him for a bearing pack and grease, new c clips and did they mention they would be setting a specific pretension on the wheel bearings? My money is on no, as I often find even Toyota dealerships don't pretension correctly.

this can cause too loose of wheel bearings which will also make the front end feel loose and cause damage to the bearings, spindle, and also make the front end feel like it's floating.

Again, most likely the rear rotors are also warped but an improperly installed front rotor and incorrect wheel bearing procedure will open a while new can of more expensive worms.
I will check out his bill and see what all he had done at that time. I am pretty sure the dealer did the work but it could have been a local indy shop we use as well.

New OEM rotors and pads or aftermarket? How were they bedded in?

If not OEM- most of parts store rotors are Chinese made crap with inconsistent quality and runout issues- that will cause pulsating.

The only way to fix that problem is have the rotors turned/recut (on a calibrated machine).

New OEM rotors and pads or aftermarket? How were they bedded in?

If not OEM- most of parts store rotors are Chinese made crap with inconsistent quality and runout issues- that will cause pulsating.

The only way to fix that problem is have the rotors turned/recut (on a calibrated machine).
I'll find out what they were and then I will have a better idea. Since its not my car I should see him tomorrow and can take a look if he has it all in the car.

Btw I replaced my fronts and rears 5 years ago on my 100 with OEM rotors and pads, to solve a brake shudder. The PO had replaced rotors with aftermarket and it only took about 20k to warp them.

I started by replacing the fronts. That made it much better, the rears still needed to be done to completely eliminate the issue.

I'm 5 years and 40k on the OEM rotors and pads. That includes mountain driving and towing. Still as smooth as when I replaced them.

two outfield suggestions to check:

1.Try rotating all the alloy wheels, and then making sure they are torqued to spec when refitted. It has been known that hugely over-tightening alloy rims can produce a similar effect.

2. Also double check the tie rods for play. That gave the effect of pulsing brakes on my 3rd gen 4runner - vibration only showed up under braking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom