Ask CottonLand: Cool places to eat in NOLA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That won't break the bank. I like a good hole in the wall. Any ideas?

Staying at the Marriot downtown for the weekend and looking for a cheap, descent room for thursday night in the 1/4.

We went cheap (free with points) last trip and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Chartres Downtown/Edge of Quarter. 100 yards from Bourbon St. It was fine and about 1/2 price of the Marriott. You can park yourself somewhere and walk into it, but most likely you will be paying to park. Don't valet there, it is $25 and all they do is park your car in the Hilton around the corner and it is $10. Prices are decent as it is off season now.

There are SO many places down there, I lived there and go 6-10 times a year and I am still finding great old spots I have never been to.

I went to Domilise last trip for Po Boys. Wow. Incredible shrimp Po-Boys. Not in the 1/4 but down on the river in Uptown. Awesome.

Magazine Street, Casamento's is the best for Oysters in NO in my opinion. Everything else there is awesome too. Cash only. Great shopping in the area, Whole Foods etc....

Mother's is off the hook for Breakfast and Lunch on the cheap. Superb Bloody's, don't be scared of the line out the door, it goes super fast.

Port of Call on Esplanade. Enough said.

Not cheap, but Superior Grill on St Charles in Uptown is the best mexican food outside of San Antonio. Margaritas to go! Take the trolly to the front door!

Best 5 star food for 3 star prices...Luke Downtown. Fantastic. That recommendation came via Tolleson and it is great.

Central Grocery, roast beef po-boys.

Need more? Lemme know.

As for the quarter....I try to stay out of there during mealtime unless I am going to a Brennan's restaurant or another old NO staple or Cafe Du Monde.

Prices are 1/4-1/2 higher, there are always more crowds/waits and the food is not always worth the hassle.

I like uptown and downtown for meals, less people and better prices, no parking issues.

2nd on the Port of Call recommendation. My brother lives in NO and we go to Port of Call every time.

Port of Call is the real deal. You can get a bloody 1lb hamburger and tator tots.

Downtown is not cheap to eat.

Lakeview Harbor in lakeview is a great place to eat but about 5 miles from downtown. Down by my old crib.

One off of St Charles great place. Let me know and I can get you a nice setup here. ONE Restaurant and Lounge - New Orleans Restaurant

Vincent's Italian is awesome and it is on St. Charles. One of the best resturants in New Orleans for the locals. Vincent's Italian Cuisine

My favorite new spot from last year was a Mojito: Welcome to Liborio’s Cuban Restaurant, New Orleans, Louisana

Agree on Port of Call, especially if I'm eating late.

Central Grocery is a no brainer for inexpensive lunch. Get a whole muff and freeze what you don't eat. They thaw out great.

I've grown to love Lucy's.

I really enjoyed the insectarium last year, and the zoo is always good: Audubon Nature Institute | Celebrating the Wonders of Nature

My favorite for cheap great music, doesn't get much better than Preservation Hall: Preservation Hall I prefer to get there around 9 and drink a few beers outside untill the 10 show. They have re done the building, not sure if they are putting in AC.

Look and see who is at House of Blues, they will surprise you sometimes.

One more - on magazine street in the garden district.

Baru Bistro & Tapas 3700 Magazine Street - reasonably priced cuban fare. Bring your own wine

The Mojito place sounds good too.

I wish i could remember the shack that served shrimp po boys the way i like it. But i bet Katrina wiped it out. We used to skip school in high school and head to NO for the day.
Jes, it made the Boiling Pot (in Mobile) shrimp poboys seem small, I swear there'd be 3 dozen shrimp on the thing, you'd eat shrimp until you found bread... and i love tartar sauce on my poboy, but their's had some kind of lemon zest or something that made me wanna slap a break dancer.

I personally like Desire, but it is hit or miss ONLY because it can get so crowded that you literally get no service or they run out of food... it's on Bourbon so you get to watch the action while you eat, awesome for visitors. Oysters are great and so are the shrimp poboys. Make sure you go there in non-eating hours though for excellent service.

Man you guys have got lunch and dinner down, but for breakfast the ONLY place to go is Camelia Grill. cameliagrill.net. IMHO .Its also great for late nite cravings. It s on Carrolton at the river.

Killer beer selection is at Cooter Browns. cooterbrowns.com. coincidentally right by camelia grill :cool:

Gumbo shop in the quarter

unfortunately if you are looking for oysters they may be hard to come by.

Lucy's is always fun. The Red Eye Grill in the warehouse distict was my old late nite hangout, but i don't think is still open. Can you say grilled tuna at 3 am!

If you venture over to the westbank ( across the river) there is New Orleans Food and Spirits on Lapalco Blvd.

If you feel like Lightening up your wallet there's Clancy's uptown.

Across from the zoo there is a place to eat that that overlooks the golf course. nice place to catch lunch. cant think of the name of it

just remembered the place across from zoo in audubon park. its called Audubon Park Clubhouse.

Sheila thought of a few more

Crabby Jack's on jefferson highway. worth the drive. stuffed mirlinton or jalopeno mac and cheese.

Jack Dempsey's on Poland

Mona's on Esplanade or Carrolton. Indigo is also on Esplanade (nice place to have a glass of wine)

Juan's Flying Burrito on Magazine

Man you guys have got lunch and dinner down, but for breakfast the ONLY place to go is Camelia Grill. cameliagrill.net. IMHO .Its also great for late nite cravings. It s on Carrolton at the river.

If you feel like Lightening up your wallet there's Clancy's uptown.

I love Camelia Grill and Clancy's.......

Mona's on Esplanade or Carrolton.
Juan's Flying Burrito on Magazine

Mona's and Juan's kick all kind of ass.......

I haven't been to camelia in ages. I remember ordering the 4 egg everything omlet when I was 13-14 and mowing it down to my folk's amazment. Gotta get back there.

How cool would it be to roll up into NOLA in a convoy of Cruisers... a la Under the Bridge Tour style...

Dude, I'd get shuntfaced in the 1/4. I'd be so Cattywampus by the end of the night I'd be yelling "Todo!" in a piano bar!

Well, I wouldn't be... but i bet some folks I would be with could be caught doing it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom