ASFIR Middle Skid install and torsion bar clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Addis Ababa Past: Seattle, Windhoek, Dar es Salaam
Installed the middle and trasfer case skids today. Overall, not a fun experience. I have one question however. Do I need to cut the middle skid edges at the front to better clear the front torsion bar bolts (see attached photos). Or is clearance not an issue at this site? They obviously overlap on both sides. Also even if I didn't have the lower reinforcements I think they'd still be very close.

I'm going to have the front modified/cut to fit with my TJM bumper so if needs be I'll take both in for cutting at the same time....

IMG_5597.jpg
IMG_5598.jpg

Mine does rub on one side, but the Aluminum is much softer than the steel and it’s slowly taken shape. You can certainly cut it if it bothers you.

Any install tips on the transfer case skid?

Yes, get two square M10 washers from Macmaster Carr. You might need them to clear your exhaust. The washers themselves are around 6mm thick and are 50mm X 50mm with a 13mm hole in the center. Much better than a stack of round washers or a 1/4 round spacer. The new cross member mounts to the front of the rear torsion bar adjustment bracket so that the front of the skid aligns with stock cross member just forward.

you have the aftermarket (ARB?) torsion bar / control arm reinforcement plates installed, that's why you have those clearance issues. the skids were engineered to fit without them, I imagine. If it were my setup, i would notch out those areas on the skid plates so you don't have any metal-to-metal contact

I didn't run into any of these issues. I also run the reinforcement plates but do have a diff drop installed. Maybe thats what gives me more clearance.

I had the same clearance issue when I installed the ASFIR skid, totally stock 99 LX. I pulled the skid back off and ground those front edges back a bit and reinstalled.

skidtbclear1-jpg.2897439

skidtbclear2-jpg.2897440

Might as well post my "after" photos as well.... Cut back the front edge of the mid skid by 1.5 inches (~6 cm)
IMG_5617.jpg

Just as an FYI... Modifications to fit a TJM front bumper... I chose to not tie the skid into the winch tray so that's why the new holes are rather large. Also the front bend has been removed.

IMG_5614.jpg

Installed...
IMG_5615.jpg

All together....
IMG_5616.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom