ASFIR 4x4 Tire Carrier on an 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

USMCDocJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Mods please move this if it needs to be a different place.

Is there anyone on here with an ASFIR 4x4 tire carrier on their 80? I'm looking at the exploded views of the carrier and the bumperettes that ASFIR says are required for it's install. Maybe I'm not as good at reading these things as I thought but I can't see how the bumperettes are required or assist in the install.

I asked ASFIR for the install instructions for both and received no response. By no means am I trying to say anything negative about ASFIR, in fact I love the look and have heard great things about their gear, but is the extra $824 actually required?

Please have a look at the links above and the attached exploded views below. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 534240-vue.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 534280-vue.pdf
    206.1 KB · Views: 70
Yes, I have one ... and I am quite happy with it.
You can theoretically mount the carrier without the "bumperhalves" (see 534240), but then you have to cut a hole in the original plastic bumper or go without it (might be roadworthy only in most of Africa ;)))).
The carrier mounts to the frame itself and latches to the last crossmember of the frame.
The correct order is: remove original bumperhalves, mount the "revolving unit"(534280) to the frame, then the right wing of the bumper over it. The hole in the right wing needs to be aligned with the "revolving unit". Finally mount the "rolling frame" and the rest... Alltogether work for about 2 hours alone.

Tell me if you need pictures for illustration

Regards ... Simon

Hey Simon. Thanks for the info. Pictures would be great! Do you happen to still have the install directions?

Matt

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-18 at 07.12.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-18 at 07.08.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-18 at 07.08.56(1).jpeg

Above is what I found: the bumper/carrier is not the australian heavy rail type, where you can attach you hilift jack on every good looking nook. It is lightwight, the wings are from 1,5 mm (0.059") steel and the overall weight 16 kg (35lbs) for the bumper and 23 kg (50lbs) for the tire carrier. If you remove the original undercarriage wheel carrier you are weightwise almost even. The bumperwings do not carry anything. They are only for bodypretection and the looks.

I hope it helps!

Regards from the bavarian alps
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom