Asbestos ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does the fillers on the underside of the 55's hood have any asbestos in it???

I'm guessing, but I would think anything from the 60's and early 70's has it in. Any kind of insulation used it and it did come from Japan. Not to green back then.

Thanks for the response. I am getting ready to replace my head liner. Don't what to get any of that stuff in my lungs.

I just seen you're from Ca. Don't let anybody know when you're throwing the insulation away. You'll be on the evening news with guys in white suits walking around. :)

Thanks for the response. I am getting ready to replace my head liner. Don't what to get any of that stuff in my lungs.

35 dollar respirator with dust booties over the VOC filter cartridges. The pig will get your shop tools and PPG in order...you'll need the respirator for other stages in fab, such as de-rusting, any fab work, painting, and of course, everything interior-wise as well. I don't know what's in all the dust that a pig can shake loose, but better safe than sorry...

Thanks for the info.
What is the easy way to scrape that stuff of?

Thanks for the info.
What is the easy way to scrape that stuff of?

the goo on the inside of the hood? cold and a putty knife. when I say cold, dump a fire extinguisher. onto it then go at chipping...or CO2 tank. heat wil make it soft, but cold makes it harder,...

Cardinal Fang,

Are you asking about the glue under the roof insulation? As far as I'm concerned, it was the most time comsuming job so far. After pulling down and scraping everything I could, I used a cheap Multitool, one of those viberating back and forth electric scraper. Then I used a propane torch and heated the glue and scraped with a putty knife. Then I used a cupped wire wheel on a grinder.

I did all this, so it was smooth enough to paint and all the glue was gone. If you are putting a mat type insulation back up, I wouldn't go to all the trouble to remove everything.

Good Luck! :)

Brought this up a couple of years ago. Nuclearlemon said she thought it was jute and didn't contain asbestos. Can't remember who, and I'm too lazy to search, but i think someone even torched their truck after sparks from a grinder ignited the insulation. Everyone seemed pretty confident that it didn't contain anything nasty, but I went ahead and had it tested. Negative for asbestos on my 11/73.

So I ripped it out, took a propane torch and burned the stuff that didn't come off easily. Put up some dynamat - good to go! Hope this helps....

That is great news!!!
Thanks for your work on that. Saves me extra work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom