As I real time research....Crank no start, immob. light OFF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
2000 LX 358k miles
- Crank but no start about every 6 weeks. Normally will start the next day... until today
- Red immobilizer does goes off wthree different keys.
- switched out good EFI relay, EFI fuse and both IGN relays from my other hundy. And no signs of melting in fuse box area.
- Good battery, good battery post contact, new starter.
- OBD2 is communicating giving coolant temps, etc but showing no codes.

Have not tested fuel pump but may just replace fuel pump to rule it out.

What am I missing here as I continue to research threads. ??

Thanks

Fuel/Heat/Air. Air, I'm gonna guess, is good. Heat, confirmed spark? Fuel; other than changing fuel pump, maybe loosen banjo fitting fitting on the fuel rail, or pull the fuel input line and feed into container while cranking to confirm flow.

These being coil packs it's a little more difficult to check spark these days.

Fuel pump is easy to do bro, knock that out, might as well. I replaced mine even tho it was still working for peace of mind on long trips.

pull the fuel input line and feed into container while cranking to confirm flow.
Detached metal fuel line. Cranked and zero fuel came out line.

Is the fuel filter new, or been changed not too long ago? replace that too.

The new pump gave me a different pigtail connector. Is this safe to be exposed and not in the plastic casing?

image.jpg

I just put direct power to the pump itself and it ran fine, then direct power to the connector above pump, pump ran fine. Then tested volts at connector that plugs into the top of pump assembly. When key turned to ON, it gets 10.2 volts. When cranking it drops to 9.5 then back up to 11.7 when turn back off.

I also plugged everything up and pump ran while cranking.

Last edited:
Oh well.... clean out filter sock and replaced working fuel pump. Turn key, fired right up with fuel flowing into fuel filter. Hope it lasts.

Thanks for the responses.

Wait, your old fuel pump worked when you tested it? It might be intermittent then, or it's spinning but not flowing. New pump should be good, cheers to another 350K miles!

Yes, the old pump comes every way I put power to it including when cranking. So I decided to put it back in rather than the aftermarket pump with the exposed wire connector. Now LX cranks fine with fuel flowing.

@BullElk just keep a Clarksonian-sized hammer handy in the future. Bang those dodgy fuel pump electronics into submission, er, working order.

How hard can it be, right??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom