Article on 200 series air filters (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
I was for searching air filter reviews (of which there aren’t many) and stumbled across this.

I run an AEM with my snorkel and like some enjoy tinkering with my vehicles. I’m not debating the solid performance of the OEM Toyota air filter.

Note: I’ve never heard of Ryco, but it doesn’t seem they have a filter for the 5.7 3uz-fe.

Last edited:
Kinda what I figured, the OEM filter is as good as any and better than most. In the past, I have run K&N, the TRD version, BMCs and the auto store "performance" offerings in the endless quest for more HP. I think with the LC, I'm sticking with the OEM filter. Can't go wrong with it. With all the aftermarket stuff I have put on my cars over the years, I have come to the conclusion that OEM is generally the best performing and most reliable, with maybe the exception of shocks and possibly brakes.

Of course I’m curious about HP, but I’d like to bump up this thread for the purpose of air flow and sealing around the edge of the engine air filter.

I’m assuming that the OEM is best, but are there other brands that people think are better in these areas?

Greetings All,

My experiences,

I can say that my AEM Dryflow gasket seals better in the air box than the OEM—a more robust and thicker quality gasket which is apparent when I made the swap.

I’ve run/currently run AEM Dryflow filters in several cars and trucks since 2009 or so and have not found any dust on the clean side of the air box in any vehicle. The media appears much denser and with deep pleats. I’ve had no instances of issues in vehicles with well over 150k miles, ie increased oil consumption, etc.

For me, I’m not looking at HP boost, but like the simplicity of maintenance and like the reusable factor. I have the AEM filter cleaner solution.

That said, I am not debating that the Toyota OEM air filter is superior/inferior, but I’ve seen no empiric nor objective data indicating that I am harming any engine by using them. I feel the same about the 0w/20 vs. 5w/30 vs. 0w/30 subjective debates as well.

This is a GREAT FORUM to learn—and I’m all about objective data vs. conjecture as many are.

NOTE1: At my 50k oil change on the LC—I plan on doing an oil analysis. The issue is I won’t have an OEM filter baseline. My LC has received 5k mile oil change intervals religiously since new with all paperwork from when the vehicle was new (Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum)—which I’ve continued since purchasing mine at 39k miles from the previous owner who was a maintenance fanatic.

NOTE2: I have a Safari snorkel and a removable synthetic filter sock for the instances where I do hit dusty/sandy roads.

NOTE3: I rarely encounter dusty roads in my use as I’m predominantly in the SE US where I’m on pavement, dirt, and gravel when I overland. When I do encounter dusty areas—on goes the pre-filter which is easily cleaned and removed. Your experiences may vary if you are in a very dusty/sandy area on a routine basis. If I lived in the desert perhaps I’d run a cyclonic head on my snorkel.

NOTE4: If my 3UR-FE goes 300k miles without oil burning or rebuild, I’ll be a happy camper as I plan on running this beast into the ground. I’m young enough where I’ve time to get to 300k as I rotate my LC within my fleet of family vehicles.

The saga continues,…

Last edited:
Of course I’m curious about HP, but I’d like to bump up this thread for the purpose of air flow and sealing around the edge of the engine air filter.

I’m assuming that the OEM is best, but are there other brands that people think are better in these areas?

Genuine Toyota is really cheap for the very high level of performance, undercutting the argument for reusable filters from a cost standpoint. But one issue they do have is some people get dust bypassing the outer perimeter gasket. I have had this in the past.. not sure whether it's the airbox flexing more than the gasket can make up for or what. In Australian 4.5L Diesels the stock filter "dusting" the engine causing premature piston ring wear is a well-known issue, but they do have a different airbox. Still, it suggests on this platform Toyota may have left something on the table.

But, the issue is easily fixable with K&N filter grease on the gakset, while maintaining the low cost and superior filtration over aftermarket options.

The very best would be if we could get donaldson to produce a version of their filter and box assembly for our 5.7L engine.. but so far they are only working on the smaller engines.

Last edited:
How tall is the AEM filter?From the pictures it appears significantly thinner than the OEM filter. A taller filter would have more surface area.

IMG_0240.png

Something as simple as this for the 5.7 would sell like crazy for people who offroad or just want to better protect their engine.

Something as simple as this for the 5.7 would sell like crazy for people who offroad or just want to better protect their engine.

Yep. Or a thin foam gasket with tape on one side. Though I still like the grease option, as if the issue is the airbox flexing when clamped closed any more preload may just make that worse.

Genuine Toyota is really cheap for the very high level of performance, undercutting the argument for reusable filters from a cost standpoint. But one issue they do have is some people get dust bypassing the outer perimeter gasket. I have had this in the past.. not sure whether it's the airbox flexing more than the gasket can make up for or what. In Australian 4.5L Diesels the stock filter "dusting" the engine causing premature piston ring wear is a well-known issue, but they do have a different airbox. Still, it suggests on this platform Toyota may have left something on the table.

But, the issue is easily fixable with K&N filter grease on the gakset, while maintaining the low cost and superior filtration over aftermarket options.

The very best would be if we could get donaldson to produce a version of their filter and box assembly for our 5.7L engine.. but so far they are only working on the smaller engines.
@bloc

Empiric data on OEM superior vs AEM?

K&N Filter grease?

Donaldson data?

It is impossible to state what is superior, equal, or inferior without a database of facts.

Preference is the correct answer until we look at engine wear data—and account for myriad variables which we will never see.

NOTE: Superior is a tall claim that must be backed up with empiric data—or it is an ego based opinion only (we all have our N=1 opinions).

How tall is the AEM filter?From the pictures it appears significantly thinner than the OEM filter. A taller filter would have more surface area.

View attachment 3356769
Subjectively:

AEM seals the air box much better with no need for grease/screens/tape and has a thicker polymer gasket of some sort that clamps down well and fills the stock air box.

Performance wasn’t the goal—and AEM misleads if they say that airflow/performance is better based on my experiences.

This is not a performance filter as the media is a red dense synthetic with a white additional synthetic layer—no data demonstrates an increase in CFM flow.

Airflow is not better and MPGs are the same.

It is simply a reusable synthetic air filter that doesn’t require oil and doesn’t degrade after washing it with the AEM solution or Dawn/Simple Green based on my personal use in many vehicles since introduction.

It is heavy vs. OEM—due to the construction.

I wouldn’t use a traditional cotton gauze oil filter as it is a pain to me—but this one is easy and I don’t see any dust (note: too many variables to say what is better in terms of OEM vs. AEM).

Good to hear it’s not oiled gauze, that was an incorrect assumption on my part.

As for Donaldson data, what they offer for the 200 platform is arguably too new to have anything out there, but their track record in this area is stellar. Air/fuel/etc purification, mostly for industrial applications (where data is king) is their business.. as an aside the fire apparatus I drive for work has Donaldson filters on it. They have my trust. Plus when you look at the 4.5L TD 200 setup it has what you’d want for a good air filter.. very deep pleats, mostly round sealing surface, etc. If there’s one potential drawback to me it would be hypothetical filter availability in 15 years. But then I don’t know if their system uses a special cartridge just for this platform or one to a standard in more broad use. Plus, I guess, they don’t make one for the 5.7

Good to hear it’s not oiled gauze, that was an incorrect assumption on my part.

As for Donaldson data, what they offer for the 200 platform is arguably too new to have anything out there, but their track record in this area is stellar. Air/fuel/etc purification, mostly for industrial applications (where data is king) is their business.. as an aside the fire apparatus I drive for work has Donaldson filters on it. They have my trust. Plus when you look at the 4.5L TD 200 setup it has what you’d want for a good air filter.. very deep pleats, mostly round sealing surface, etc. If there’s one potential drawback to me it would be hypothetical filter availability in 15 years. But then I don’t know if their system uses a special cartridge just for this platform or one to a standard in more broad use. Plus, I guess, they don’t make one for the 5.7
@bloc

Donaldson is what my family uses on agricultural equipment which is subject to harsh conditions 24/7 in farming.

If we get that for LC200, 5.7L 3UR-FE, I’d buy it immediately without hesitation.

Until then, AEM is my preferred solution for the US LC200.

NOTE: subjective opinion of course.

If we get that for LC200, 5.7L 3UR-FE, I’d buy it immediately without hesitation.

You and me and hundreds of others. Probably still not enough get them to bite.. it took this long for the 4.5TD and there are a whole lot more of those owned by people that would invest in this.

You and me and hundreds of others. Probably still not enough get them to bite.. it took this long for the 4.5TD and there are a whole lot more of those owned by people that would invest in this.
@bloc

We are 100% in agreement.

Enjoy your perspectives and posts.

Perhaps we will cross paths someday.

I have the unfortunate privilege of being friends with @wngrog and having a great deal of professional/personal respect for him and his family.

This is a great forum. I learn something useful every day from IH8MUD—and learned a few tips today. 👍🏼

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom