1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

article: Motorcycle fatalities nationwide have surged

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Aug 9, 2005.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

So should we ban them, too?

These groups sounds somewhat self-mutilating -- "Motorcycle groups opposed to helmet laws point to the changing face of bikers."

e

-------------------------------------------

Motorcycle fatalities nationwide have surged to their highest levels since 1987, even as overall highway deaths continue to decline.

Last year, 4,008 motorcycle riders were killed in highway accidents, up 7.9% from 2003 and 89% higher than in 1997, according to a new National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report. Meanwhile, passenger car deaths dropped 3.2% to 19,091 last year.

The increase in motorcycle deaths has spurred Congress to add $3 million to a federal transportation bill for a study on motorcycle crashes. President Bush is set to sign the measure this week.

"What we need now are answers, not theories," said Tom Lindsay, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association.

Possible causes: a sharp rise in motorcycle ownership, rollback of mandatory helmet laws and an increase in inexperienced bikers riding powerful machines.

Americans bought an estimated 734,000 new on-highway motorcycles last year, up from 230,000 in 1995, said Tim Buche, president of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

But more motorcycles don't account for the entire increase. The fatality rate is also on the rise.

In 2003, the most recent year for which statistics are available for motorcycles, the fatality rate was 38.38 per 100 million miles traveled. In 2002, that figure was 34.23.

By contrast, the fatality rate for all highway drivers has improved for decades and in 2004 was 1.46 per 100 million miles traveled.

Rae Tyson, spokesman for the highway administration, said blame may lie partly with states that have scaled back helmet laws. A study released by the agency Monday showed an 81% rise in motorcycle deaths in Florida in a three-year period after the state repealed its law in 2000.

Motorcycle groups opposed to helmet laws point to the changing face of bikers. Jeff Rabe, lobbyist for the Modified Motorcycle Association of California, said more "middle-aged executives" are riding powerful machines without training. "There's a huge group of people ages 35 to 50 who have purchased motorcycles," Rabe said. "But they're still beginning riders."

2. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    sure

as long as they own pitbulls too :flipoff2:
    fail to see the comparison :frown:
    riding a motorcycles a choice, being attacked by a pitbull isnt :eek:

seems like a waste of money to me, but oh well. i dont understand them not thinking theres a relationship between more bikers and more fatalities?

granted its not the whole picture, but really, wouldnt the 3million dollars be better spent in trying to improve training of motorcyclists and cage drivers also?

one place i used to work thered be people riding their bikes to the bar, driking quite a few and leaving on their bikes. I had one beer once and rode home, it messed up my sense of balance enough that I realized it and never did that again. thinking alcohol probably has something to do with more than its share of fatalities.

3. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    No... its population controll. No need to ban those that would pollute the gene pool. People that act like idiots weaving in and out of trafiic at extremely high speeds in a 35mpg deserve to get splatter all over the roadway. Just as long as they dont hurt an innocent in the process of trying to impress girls. First one that hurts one of my small ones will find themselves being eaten alive at the family pig farm.
    After I break every joint them their feet, legsm hands, and arms with extreme prejudice. :flipoff2:

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I want to be a government researcher.

Sharp increase in motorcycle riders

Sharp increase in motorcycle accidents.

There may be a corrilation. :rolleyes:

Motorcycle safety foundation courses ought to be either mandatory, or at least make a huge difference in your insurance bill. I know so many damn newbie professionals on Harleys that just don't have a clue. One of them recently told me how he had his rear tire serviced at 9,000 miles and the rear brakes were worn out. How the hell did he wear out the rears so fast. Service guy at the Harley store sez all these newbs on big Hogs go through the rear brakes. They honestly beleive they will flip over the handlebars if they use the front too much. :eek:
    "No freakin' way" sez I. Nobody is that stupid.
    week later talking to friend and he's relating a crash story of a mutual aquantance. "He locked up the front and flew over the bars. Went through the back window on the car that cut him off. He should have never hit the front brakes" No way I could convince him of the stupidity of that statement. he now has anecdotal evidence that will keep him braking at 20% efficiency.

I would also add cell phones to the increase in ALL accidents, including killing bikers with them.

5. Gumby

I would submit the large increase in motorcycle rider is not the crotch rocket crowd, but the slow speed Harley crowd.

6. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

What I don't understand is the lobbying to not wear helmets --

-- what is the rationale behind less safety equipment?

e

7. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:

I think kids should have to wear protective equipment... but once you hit legal age you should be allowed to wear what you want. It weeds out the idiots. If your out riding, cruizin and taking life easy then no biggie... if you think its ok to hit 180mpg in a school zone then you deserve to die.

8. Gumby

do you wear a helmet while driving in your car? How about while wheeling? It would be safer wouldn't it?

If you want to get killed on your bike or get yourself brain damaged, then it's your own damn head. The medical bills passed on to the public arguement is silly. If you follow that, then any dangerous activity should be outlawed for the public good, including four wheeling.

I don't want to get killed. I sure as Hell don't want to be brain damaged. I ride for the enjoyment, not to be seen. i wear a helmet. I'm very happy to live in a state where it is a choice, unlike the state where i grew up.

9. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

oh -- okay -- i understand the argument now -- it's more a personal freedom question --

-- a bike is inherently more dangerous than a car though, isn't it? and how do the insurance companies NOT pay for the individual's choice to not wear a helmet, making damages more severe?

also, the families left behind -- :(

e

10. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    while i believe in wearing a helmet, i also believe in having a choice.

education is again key i think. i wore a seatbelt before it was a law. felt more secure around corners with it on ;)
    theres misconceptions that your better off without a helmet in a crash, theres also the feeling of riding without a helmet. think the main thing is the wrong helmet can turn you off of them too. my half helmet sucks when its windy as it tries to come off my head.

perhaps if the industry supplied matching helmets with each new bike that would do more to make people want to wear them than a law.

i find it funny seeing people with helmets strapped to their bikes for when they ride through a state with a law and take them off when they get to a state with no helmet law. :rolleyes:

11. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes as sad as it might be to lose someone you love or know to an MC death, the family thats left behind suffers too... but if you live in that culture then good chance your family knows the risks you accept and they might have to see you dead... doesnt make things better... but I feel adults should be allowed to make their own choices when it comes to safety equipment and bikes. If you get hit by someone who didnt see you, or an accident not your own doing then I feel for that person... I dont however feel for pocket rocket dumbasses that think they owned the f***ing roads. Or think its ok to draft off me and have the bike so close to my rear bumper I cant see them. Respect is something you earn... not given.

12. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:

someone not wearing a helmet in a serious crash will probably not survive -less medical bills. wearing one more than likely to survive unless they get ran over or something.

13. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

my uncle was in AZ at a stop light on a bike, with his right turn signal on, waiting for the green.

some punk, not paying attention, rammed him from behind.

he wasn't wearing a helmet -- he died in the incident --

-- that's weird circumstance, i know, but it's reality --

e

14. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Government waste at it's best.

They are dangerous. If not by themselves, because they lose battles with cagers. It is a risk assumed when you climb on and hit the start button.

$3million dollars. Freaking incredible.

Always looking for some magic answer, and then punish the ones who are responsible by legislating according to the "experts" to protect the idiots of any said group, like they obey the speed or helmet laws anyway.

I feel sorry for the responsible riders.... I guess that goes for the responsible owners of non-aggressive pitbulls, too. (now ya happy, E?)

Something to think about next time you begin to say, "There oughta be a law"

15. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

16. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    hehe... someone driving a car, truck, etc... cage (auto) + human = cager.
    ;p

17. Gumby

If the person chooses to leave those families behind, it is his or her choice. Right or wrong, it is not our place to legislate it.

the insurance companies do pay, just like they pay for football players, rock climbers, mountain bikers, sky divers and on and on.

The insurance companies have the power to make a difference in ways much more in line with personal freedoms than making a law. They can adjust your rates for taking a safety course, for choosing a proper bike based on your experience level, for being properly licensed, even for wearing a helmet. If you still choose to do your own thing, then you should pay accordingly.

18. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

haha --

-- i am still amazed passengers don't fall off the back --

-- when i was in Germany, I had a late night, then the next day Arpad from Hungary wanted to tour the Rhein Valley --

-- he had some old beater Honda, so we went. I was falling asleep on the back of it, asking him to stop for a break, and the fawker wouldn't -- I am glad I stayed on, though it was easy to drift off --

e

19. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

and it's odd, in CT, they have no helmet law but they DO have a seatbelt law -- !!

e

20. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:

I say seat belt law for the kids. Why should they die because of someone elses stupidity. When I was in the military someone I served with didnt wear his seatbelt and neither did his 2 year old son. I asked why and he told me that if he went he wanted his kid to die with him. I dont know... bugs me when little kids get hurt... when you are riding a bike... you are pretty much it unless you have someone on the back... if its a little kid they need safety gear. You want road rash from your feet up your backside and a skull fracture... more power to that person... little kids dont deserve it.