ARRRGG %^&*! If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck @ all. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got my 60 on the road. After rebuilding the carb, replacing head gasket and correcting emmisions problems. Drove it down the road for about 4 miles and a loud knocking started coming from the engine. Sound changes a little when I unplug the #2 plug wire. I also noticed some metal filling in the oil. Looked like glitter.:mad: So now looks like I'll have to pull the engine. :mad:
Any suggestions where to get parts if needed? Like pistons, bearing and such.
Some times I feel like just getting out of cruisers and going back to a Tacoma. At leat that way I could go back to fishing and hunting and enjoying the outdoors again.

Not so fast... with pulling the engine. Will it idle?

First pull the plugs and look at them. Did you adjust the idle mixture? If the plugs all looks good then maybe do a compression test. Might of toasted the plug with the mixture too high.

Goodluck

Glitter in the oil pan is bad.

Pull the pan and ply with the rods. If they rattle around the journals then you are in need of a rebuild...

Orrrrrr...

You can buy my good 2F (out of an 85) for $400 ;)

It will idle. Plugs look good. The more throttle the louder the knocking gets. I adjusted the carb prior to driving it. Lean idle adjustment.

Mace where are you located? PM me with info on your motor.

Is it easy to pull the pan? My rig is not lifted. If I do this I would lift it and support it with jack stands on the frame to get max space between pan and axle.
Thanks for your help.
Andy

It is kinda of a pain to get it off but it is not too bad. Do a search. There is some good info on getting it off.
How about pull the valve cover and make sure a valve did not loosen up or see if a push rod got bent. I still like a compression test since it takes 10 mins and then you will know which cylinder is bad.

Goodluck

I need to take some time off from working on it and catch up on some projects at home to keep the wifey happy.
I do a compression test next week and let ya all know what I find. Any vendors you all would recommend? I would like to start pricing things out so I can decide which items to sell for the money. Luckily my 40 is still running great and the gas prices are dropping so I can afford to drive it again. ;p

Well I was getting ready to pull the pan today. I drained the oil and if was silver.:mad: I've never seen that much metal shavings in oil before. So f:censor: k it, I'm gonna pull the motor and just rebuild the damn thing. That way when I'm off exploring I can have the piece of mind that the motor is totally sound and that I can get another 200K. (Well this one only made it to 163K).:doh:

So where do you all recommend going for parts? Any one used Man a fre's RV cam?

I'll take some pics as I tear down the motor and keep ye all posted.
Thanks
Andy

FJTOYMAN said:
I finally got my 60 on the road. After rebuilding the carb, replacing head gasket and correcting emmisions problems. Drove it down the road for about 4 miles and a loud knocking started coming from the engine. Sound changes a little when I unplug the #2 plug wire. I also noticed some metal filling in the oil. Looked like glitter.:mad: So now looks like I'll have to pull the engine. :mad:

I had similar bad luck with my 4runner. Bought it knowing it was leaking coolant. Almost a grand later it was all fixed. Turned out to be leaking freeze plug under the cam and bad timing cover gaskets.

No more then 200 miles later it spun a bearing and broke a rod requiring a complete bottom end rebuild (I went with a new shortblock).

I FINALLY get it back today. Good thing it's otherwise in great shape because I'll be driving it for along time.

Sporin said:
I FINALLY get it back today. Good thing it's otherwise in great shape because I'll be driving it for along time.

Uh huh... tell that to the wife dave, not us... i can't wait to see you in a V8 powered 60!

Last edited:
For parts you can buy parts from Paclift out of califorina(toyota fork trucks use the same 2F motor) a complete rebuild kit was about 550.00 a few years ago. do a search on here for "pac lift" with my user name to find the phone number.

Stew

peepers said:
Uh huh... tell that to the wife dave, not us... i can't wait to see you in a V8 powered 60!

HAHA! Someday, that's for sure. But if I even attempted to trade or sell this 4runner anytime in the next 3 or 4 years I would probably need a good divorce lawyer.

Well, that does suck. BUT now you can re-build to have more power, use a hoter cam, pistons... etc.

a few random...

Sporin - what's up with the andre the giant "obey"? seen them before and no clue.

cruzer - paclift -- i thought the guy who knew cruisers left - anyone used them lately and they have parts still? just vaguely remember a thread about this.

not married myself - but heard a great one:

"why is divorce so expensive? because it's worth it."

rob

Paclift - Earlier this year I called to place an order and Al the 2F guy had retired. The new guy was not 2F proficient and it would have been weeks before the parts were available. This is not to say don't use Paclift, just that Al the knowledgeable 2F guy is no longer there.

sl33py said:
a few random...

Sporin - what's up with the andre the giant "obey"? seen them before and no clue.

rob

Great young designer named Shepard Fairey, basically got his start making stickers an dposters with this Andre the Giant posterization but has since become very, VERY big. He's done tons of stuff, all in a similar style, including the excellent Walk The Line movie poster

http://www.obeygiant.com/main.php?page=posters

cash_final_poster.jpg

Thanks for the replys. I'll check paclift out.
As for beefing up the 2F what do you all recommend? I want to sup it up some but don't want to have to use super unleaded. Gas is expensive enough.

I too am interested sence I will have my 2f apart soon.
Thanks
Jonathan

If you wanted to see some real gains, bore it over and put high-compression pistons in. Unfortunately if you do that, you'll have to run premium. You'll probably see the best all-around performance from bolt-on mods. Weber, DUI, headers, etc. I would use the stock cam myself, not the RV or any other non-stock.

Steve-O said:
If you wanted to see some real gains, bore it over and put high-compression pistons in. Unfortunately if you do that, you'll have to run premium. You'll probably see the best all-around performance from bolt-on mods. Weber, DUI, headers, etc. I would use the stock cam myself, not the RV or any other non-stock.
As in the stock cam you all offer? I've been looking at that. Do you all offer rebuild kits? I haven't found them on your web page and my last catolog dosn't have it either.

Thanks for the replies gents
Keep em comming.
Andy

From Bad to Worse.

Well I got the engine pulled the broke down the motor. I'll let the pics speak for them selves. :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom